What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand-drawn style for Architectural renders

agent_melon

Hi everybody,

I'm not a complete novice to photoshop but I'm having trouble recreating the effect shown below. I'm looking to turn my architectural renders (done with Vray in 3dsmax) into something that looks hand-drawn, almost. The example shown below is from another student who graduated a couple of years ago. I suspect his workflow was similar - a base 3d render made grayscale and then edited - but how do I recreate those soft gradient changes that make it look like it's a graphite drawing? I'm wary of using one of those pencil-sketch Photoshop actions because they come out naff and don't give the look I'm after.

Any help is much appreciated! :cool2:

Render.JPG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Would it be possible for you to upload your rendering for us practice with?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks!

Sorry I have been very busy today. I'm taking a look at it now. Will let you know when I have something.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I made a side by side comparison and made a few slight adjustments. Mainly I added a Black & White adjustment layer, a noise layer, and a slight blur.

It's not perfect but it's a start.
HandDrawnRender_01.png

Second variation, basically the same on this time I added a curves adjustment layer:
HandDrawnRender_02.png

fredfish

Guru
What about this sort of effect that I have applied to the horizontal wall above the window - I think it is similar to your original example?

Untitled-1.jpg

I did this very quickly and crudely to show you - it would be quite time consuming for the whole image.

Cheers

John

Last edited: