What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imagine paper texture

Pipsmom

Guru
:shocked: Need your advice how to deal with the paper texture on a old picture...I'm doing something wrong and can't figure it out today.... just making it worse

Screen Shot where I am so far

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.08.15.png

Started from here

IMG_5349.JPG

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Pipsmom,

This is a very difficult one because it is a combination of a repeated pattern in the photo (like half-tone etc...) and a surface deterioration of that photo.

It is possible to reduce a normal pattern using the 'Fourier Filter' but in this case the deterioration of the surface is making it nearly impossible.

I used the Fourier filter (I'll post a tutorial at the end)

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

With a 'normal' pattern you would need to cover only the little clusters of stars but in this case there are big pale circles = surface deterioration

with result

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-03%20at%2011_08_15 FOURIER.png

Maybe there are other ways and I'll read that when someone comes up with it...

Use of Fourier filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyox358zIRw&t=341s

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you Eggy for confirmation it just isn't me having a bad day :cry: .......... I continue to tweek with various programs...then dodging and burning......looks like I need to work on back ground more then colorise and draw the line somewhere on this one.... early 1900's photographers phew what a work out

Update so far.... With your new eyes...Is it to much on the people?

Lawerance & Neva Smith.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Maybe you could use the healing brush and the spot healing brush to avoid dodging and burning too much.

At the end add a curves adjustment layer to correct the brightness and use a high Pass adjustment layer to sharpen the image but thats trial and error...

Untitled-1.jpg