What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adding caption to an image for printing

skylineboy2017

hi,

i have looked to see if i can find my answer but was unable to.

i want to take images, and add a white banner / caption with info such as info about the image and standard stuff like my name and email / website and copyright.

usually in 7x5 or 8x6 inches. would it be as simple as making a new image 2400x1800 pixels (best for printing aka 300dpi, 8x300 is 2400 and 1800 for 300x6). and then dropping my image into this new image and positioning etc, and then adding the text info in?

or would it be more complex than that?

also any help on how i could perhaps do it once and save a template or something so that i can just then change the image im using, and the caption relating to that image, would be good, as some info would be constant, eg, name, copyright, email etc.

please see attachment to see what im after. TIA

Attachments

• Clipboard02mcrae.jpg
    Clipboard02mcrae.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Use the marquee tool to draw a white rectangle at the bottom of your image, and fill it with the desired color. Using the text tool, type out your text.

Save it as a .psd to use as a template.

Add new photos on a layer BELOW your template layers, then SAVE AS a .jpg or whatever. Should be pretty easy.

Agent

skylineboy2017

thanks, ill give that a go,

am i right in thinking that i'd need to take my image and resize to eg 8x6 inches first (2400x1800 if 300dpi) FIRST? and then id just make a template for each size of print id want, eg 7x5 inches, 8x6, 10x8 etc etc

the images are scans mainly at 4000dpi from film or slides. so pretty big as they come.

skylineboy2017

ive had a little play, and i have came up with this, see attached, the green and main text are movable etc.

the only thing i can see it, i cant click and edit the TEXT as i'd need to - i know some info such as my email and copyright would be same across ALL banners and images, but as in my attached file, i would need to edit the car make and model etc on an image by image basis, would i have to simply delete this and re do every time or can it be changed and keep the formatting etc, i tried double clicking or looking for some sort of edit box but couldnt find!

also is there some sort of "snap to grid" system or similar so i can position the text centrally and accurately and have a uniform style across all my images!

i realise PS isnt a text editor, but really just want to be able to swap out the image, and edit the make and model of the car shown in the image, and send to a lab to print!

thanks dan

Attachments

• template for press images2.jpg
    template for press images2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you have your separate text layer done, click on that layer in the layers panel to highlight it in blue, then CTL+ Left CLick the layer with the white rectangle so both are highlighted in blue.
Hit the letter "V" to activate the Move Tool.
Then click on the "Align Horizontal Centers" icon at the top tool menu bar.

That will center the text and the white box. You can also CTL+ Left Click the background layer so all three are highlighted, and all three will be centered.

Agent