What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once upon a time illustation effect help

nwkrestoff

Hello all. I'm trying to create a Once upon a time style story book for my wife for mother's day because she is a huge fan of the show. I'd like to recreate the effect on the photos as they appear on the show. The photos are clearly freeze frames from video that have been rendered through a filter to look vaguely illustration like. I think they are a poster edges filter, but part of me thinks it can't be that simple.

I've included some screenshots of the illustrations. any advice would help out immensely.

CiRuWZAWgAA6PTJ.jpg

hyde.jpg

th.jpg

Thank you

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome t PSG.

It's hard to tell, but the examples you've posted are more like watercolor paintings. The watercolor filter in the artistic section of the filter gallery comes very close. You could also try variations of the different filters (including posterize) blended with various different blending modes.

There are many different techniques for this, go to YT and try a search on Photoshop watercolor painting effect. This is one of the better ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WZpT_pOKc

This is about experimenting to see what gets you closest to the outcome you desire.

Hello and welcome t PSG.

It's hard to tell, but the examples you've posted are more like watercolor paintings. The watercolor filter in the artistic section of the filter gallery comes very close. You could also try variations of the different filters (including posterize) blended with various different blending modes.

There are many different techniques for this, go to YT and try a search on Photoshop watercolor painting effect. This is one of the better ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WZpT_pOKc

This is about experimenting to see what gets you closest to the outcome you desire.

Good advice, Sam.

This looks like a higher-number posterize (5 or over), with some noise or grain of some type added into it.

Agent.