What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floating Objects (gif)

Na11

I've been trying to get this effect for a while, but with no luck (I can create text/motion gifs and such but I have no idea how to get things to float.) If you can see the image, the hearts are floating. How do I achieve this? Thanks in Advance!

tumblr_nbkc0l8emi1r04zywo3_250.gif

MrToM

Guru
How is this different to the other type of motion you already know how to do?

You'll have to be more descriptive about exactly what it is you need help with.

Regards.
MrToM.

Na11

I can only make text gifs that blank, fade, and type. I do not know how to move objects like the gif above (that's what I'm asking for)

MrToM

Guru
Right, OK.

Pixels are no different to a text layer. You can do everything with a pixel layer that you can with text.

Just do the same process but move the pixel layer between frames instead of fading or whatever.....honestly its no different.

You'll have, for instance and using your example, the big heart on say Layer 'Heart Big'.
The smaller heart on layer 'Heart Small'.

Frame #1 will contain the BG and both hearts in their respective places.
Frame #2 will also contain all 3 layers but this time you move the hearts slightly to wherever you want them.
Frame #3....the same and move the hearts a little more...
Frame #4 ....and some more...
Frame #n Rinse, spin, repeat for as many frames as you need for the full motion of the hearts.(Or whatever you animate)

Remember to set each frame to 'Automatic' and NOT 'Do not dispose'.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you open your original gif in Photoshop you will see that the background and heart images were merged to make four different layers consisting of the background image and the hearts in different positions. Each layer and subsequent frame, were still constructed using 1 background layer and at least 2 different heart layers for each layer/frame.

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.16.31 PM.png

While this obviously works and there's nothing wrong with this technique, it's much easier to just use one background layer and 4 heart layers with the hearts in different positions to simulate movement. You would still only have 4 animation frames. Doing it this way seems to make creating and editing a bit easier.

Layers panel....
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.16.53 PM.png

Frames in timeline....
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.29.26 PM.png

I assume you understand the process is based on each frame in the timeline corresponding with one or more layers in the layers panel. For instance frame 1 is made up of the background layer and the Heart 1 layer. Frame 2 is made up of the background layer and Heart 2 layer..........and so on.

SailorMoonHeartGif.gif