What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicating label question

Pipsmom

Guru
I'm working on a old 1925 photo, after a gazillion spots removed and cleaned up everything is going along as expected colouring but I'm looking and studying those shelves full of identical labels on cans on the left side of different kinds of stock.
So I'm almost to the point of starting on them and I still haven't thought of a answer to a question I have....,,,If I color a can label fully ( say a soup can for instance) Is there a action I can create to apply that same label onto the other cans in that group? Or am I to break it down and do it the can by can by color application.
Stupid question but I really can't think of a answer this time.

Starting point

IMG_5522.JPG

Present stage of colouring stage

IMG_5534.JPG

Argos

Guru
Well if i understood correctly when you add colour to a can for example with a saturatiion layer, that layer have a mask attach to it, you only have to select the new can and add that new selection to the mask. Hope is understandable XD

Cheers!!

Argos

Guru
Of course you can change the colour using fx mode "color". If you do it that way you have the option to click on apply copy layer style.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Argos, just add each new cans selection to the layer adjustment layers-layer mask. I would probably just reverse the layer mask (hide all) and use the Brush Tool to quickly paint in the can labels.

But I do want to add that your improving considerably on your colorization's! This looks great so far. Where do you get your color references from?

Pipsmom

Guru
I agree with Argos, just add each new cans selection to the layer adjustment layers-layer mask. I would probably just reverse the layer mask (hide all) and use the Brush Tool to quickly paint in the can labels.

But I do want to add that your improving considerably on your colorization's! This looks great so far. Where do you get your color references from?

Thank you for the compliment of colorisation I have worked hard using tips received right here on this very site.
I get my color reference by searching hex codes for example barrels, woods or flooring...... I have found several hex colors I use regularly that fall within range of the color I am looking for, applied in the color mode and opacity adjusted by the way I remember them looking.

I know these places like the old store from memory in my home town where the orginal flooring was still down when I was growing up and to this day can still be seen in back store rooms , other items I remember seeing from various places like my grandmothers place and around antique stores which bought old items from a estate sales.......so I am colouring this from memories and familiarity.

I'll research each label of the cans and try to keep them authentic as possiable.

Because of the advice and techniques learned right here, I have many elderly up to 90 yrear olds say when they see the pictures I am practicing on, it brought back lovely memories and it looked just like that....most of the time I get a story along with the compliment, now those are priceless treasures of a life about my home town I never knew about.

gedstar

Guru
Great work so far Pipsmon keep it up :thumbsup:please do share the finished one

Last edited:

Mott1990

Keep up the good work! It looks great so far! How long have you been using Photoshop?

Pipsmom

Guru
Well I think I've had enough practice for 4 days and 10 groups, think I'm going to stop with it before I go to far and mess it up. I've learned a lot, yes there are still mistakes but ones I learned from. Thank you everyone for being here to teach me to get this far...I can only get better with advice and techniques you suggested

Before

IMG_5522.JPG

After

1925 country store.jpg

Argos

Guru
Excellent job!! you deserve a rest, but in the future you need to finish it, there's almost nothing left.:thumbsup:.

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I stated before......excellent job! The canned goods and all the goods in the cabinets look great. You're getting much better! :thumbsup:

Pipsmom

Guru
Thanks heaps guys, I needed to hear that I'm improving . ;)
Just showed it to the family who's father is in the picture and they are over the moon happy .....so guess I will finish it for them, just need a breather inbetween to regroup.......
I got just been sent another one but not as involved as this one was, much smaller scene....
They love the can labels on the merchandise the most, go figure..........thank you again for that advise