What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Align and center

STITCH

Hi Guys,

I am curious, how do I align a certain layer within a selected area? I've been using the ruler, but I'd rather find a way to align the image within a certain area of the overall picture.

Here is an example:

I'd like the skull in the center of the left template area.

0113a84e2d.png

Very easy...

Create a marquee.
Select the layer you wish to align TO it.
Select the 'Move' tool.
Use the vast array of 'Align' tools presented in the menu bar at the top of the UI...

align_tools_MT_01.jpg

You can see from this that you just need the marquee to go FROM the left of the image TO the right.....height is irrelevant if you just want to align horizontally.

If the layer contains ONLY the pixels with-in the shirt you can just CTRL click the layer thumbnail to get a really quick 'boundary' marquee....then align to it.

In a nutshell, if you have TWO layers selected you can align them to each other....but without a marquee they average out their alignment....because PS doesn't know, and you cannot tell it either, which one should take priority.

OTOH, If you have a marquee present when you click an alignment tool then everything is aligned relative to the marquee.

For example to align to the document use 'Select All'...'CTRL + A'...then align.
'Select All' creates a marquee along the document edge.

Lots of ways really....and really, really, handy.

For best results, always have a document of EVEN pixels dimensions, and always have EVEN marquee dimensions....this way you can divide by two without trying to split the pixel...which you cannot do.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
Very easy...

Create a marquee.
Select the layer you wish to align TO it.
Select the 'Move' tool.
Use the vast array of 'Align' tools presented in the menu bar at the top of the UI...

View attachment 75038

You can see from this that you just need the marquee to go FROM the left of the image TO the right.....height is irrelevant if you just want to align horizontally.

If the layer contains ONLY the pixels with-in the shirt you can just CTRL click the layer thumbnail to get a really quick 'boundary' marquee....then align to it.

In a nutshell, if you have TWO layers selected you can align them to each other....but without a marquee they average out their alignment....because PS doesn't know, and you cannot tell it either, which one should take priority.

OTOH, If you have a marquee present when you click an alignment tool then everything is aligned relative to the marquee.

For example to align to the document use 'Select All'...'CTRL + A'...then align.
'Select All' creates a marquee along the document edge.

Lots of ways really....and really, really, handy.

For best results, always have a document of EVEN pixels dimensions, and always have EVEN marquee dimensions....this way you can divide by two without trying to split the pixel...which you cannot do.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you!!

Back