What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help to make a text effect

Michael1980

Hi I hope this is the right forum.
I ammaking some different text effect for each months to my own private calender for next year.

I am getting to november and would like to mak a frossen ice look on the text, but this tutorial I found us a nother program than the 3d built in in photoshop, so anyone who can explain me how to create this in photoshop or perhaps even want to make it

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-3d-ice-text-effect-with-modo-and-photoshop--psd-34232

thanks a lot
michael

Eggy

Retired Moderator
First I hope you know how to use PS 3D!

Type your text in a fat font and make the contour irregular using the liquify tool

Untitled-1.jpg

Choose 'new extrusion from selected layer' and determin the extrusion depht

Untitled-2.jpg

Select all layers from the text and open the materials tab and choose glass-frozen

Untitled-3.jpg

Render (In PS 3D this can take some time :frown:...

Go to essentials and make a duplicate from the 3D layer and deselect the original 3D layer

Apply an ice texture in screen blend to the top text

I used this
ice-textures-featured.jpg

Duplicate that layer flip it vertically and position it below the text, reduce opacity, apply a mask and use a soft brush to remove in gradient way the bottom of the reflection

final.jpg

Snow can be added in PS but I suppose you can handle that?

Last edited:

Michael1980

my bad I dont have the option of the glass structure in 3d. Is it soething you can download for free and add to your photoshop

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Are you using CC2017 updated?

Last edited:

Michael1980

hmm thats weird I created a dropbox link copied it for you and I even tried to put it in the adress line and download it. it works fine with my pc and chrome

MrToM

Guru
The forum is being over-sensitive to your URL....it has replaced some characters with asterisks.

You'll have to type the url differently for it to become a valid link or just put it in 'code' BB tags so it can be copied and pasted....in other words not a direct link.

I would do it for you but of course I don't know what characters have been replaced.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Its working now...or at least its a valid link anyway.

For future reference this is the problem...

URL_problem_MT_01.jpg

Not your fault, just pure coincidence the dropbox URL contained characters that the forum didn't like.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The main problem is that you're creating white semi-transparent 'ice' on a white background.
You'll have to make the top side of the page darker, for example by using a gradient.

Also change the diffuse color to a light blue and the specular into a somewhat darker blue and set transparenty to 40%, not lesser!

The way the word november is displayed is also making it harder to see through.
Make sure the extrusion isn't too big and the letters too close to each other, you won't have any 'see through' between the letters making it unreadable and also don't display it too much in perspective for the same reason.

You also did chipped a lot of 'ice' away making the contour too irregular and not very natural. Use a more 'wavy' contour like I did in the example previously.

And you'll have to use a 'clipped' ice texture to make it more icy.

You'll end up with

November .jpg

I didn't fully rendered it (it would have taken 4 hrs and 32 min!)

Here's the revised PSD file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k14eud2ksg8iu23/November 3.psd?dl=0