What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook resolution??

danman03

So, this isn't really a photoshop question, but I didn't see a section that was relevant to my questions. If this needs to be moved, I'm sorry.

First, I'm having issues with the resolution qualities when it comes to Facebook. I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong. I look online for the proper dimensions and get that out of the way. Then I make my designs. Since I'm designing for the web, I use a 72 ppi for my resolution. After I'm done with the design, I do a save as and then save for web. I select jpg as the format and have it turned to maximum and then everything else is default. But, whenever I upload my designs to Facebook, they look grainy or slightly pixelated. This has happened multiple times. I thought maybe the resolution was too low, so I tried upping the Ppi, but I keep getting the same results.

This last design I did, I used a color font or I think they call them otf or maybe svg fonts. Could that be giving me problems? Like, there might be something with the font that doesn't allow it to scale properly? I don't know, but even without fonts, I still get fuzzy results when uploading to Facebook.

Does anyone have any pointers or possibly know why this keeps happening to me?

Pipsmom

Guru
I've found any picture I posted of my work to FB is changed by the uploader dramticaaly...something to do with their formatting...... and no matter what resolution even though 72 is low, you always lose over all color, clarity and definition. On the other hand I have found pictures saved and posted at 300ppi show up a lot better over all but still not perfect. Just something we have to live with

danman03

I think you're right Pips. I tried the methods in the link John posted and I didn't get any better results. I even tried 1640x620 with 300ppi and it still looks fuzzy. This is pretty frustrating seeing as I'm a graphic designer. If my designs don't look crisp and sharp, then that kind of makes me look bad. I downloaded some facebook cover templates that were professionally made and I just tried using one to see if it's settings were better than mine, but no, same result. I just honestly don't understand.

Pipsmom

Guru
Fact is there is nothing we can do when we post to FB, only alternative is to make a album for your work and Post the link only to a outside web host......that way FB can't mess it up and they see your true workmanship in all its glory by visiting your host site.

danman03

Fact is there is nothing we can do when we post to FB, only alternative is to make a album for your work and Post the link only to a outside web host......that way FB can't mess it up and they see your true workmanship in all its glory by visiting your host site.
This is true. I am in the process of building a portfolio website, but it's a really slow process. I do a lot of business through facebook, so it's a little frustrating to see how bad my images get compressed. I guess I just gotta role with it. Thanks for all the tips and help.