What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Bucket not filling solid area on separate layer?

RICH72601

The solution is probably simple, but I have never run into this issue previously. Can anyone tell me why the paint bucket tool is not completely filling a selected area on a top layer? The selected area should be completely white, but it seems to have a subtle outline of the layer I traced from when I used (Ctrl+left mouse click).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Do you have any screenshots of the problem or your layers panel that you can upload to the forum?

RICH72601

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I had posted a pic, which showed up in the preview but I guess it wasn't supported.

cKoou0Q.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RICH72601

Thanks guys. Gedstar, I thought it was the tolerance level, but it didn't seem to change it. Crazy thing is, it is now working properly, so maybe it was just some kind of hiccup with the program. I did restart my computer and tried again, then BINGO!!! I thought that I might have selected something in error. Thank you guys again for your help. Have you seen that happen before?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Rich

Glad you got it fixed. I am assuming the the CTRL+left click was on the Layers thumbnail to select the pixels.

With that assumption, the problem you can have is when there is partial transparency in the image. I bet your original image had some partial transparency around the edges of the colored images and that remained in spite of other steps that might have been taken. When filled with white, that leave it looking grayish which is really just transparency looking through to the Layer underneath.

Transparency around the edges is pretty easy to get if you have feathering, antialiasing, or even sharpening around Text when done when the object is on a transparent background.

You would get the exact results you had.

Just a thought

John Wheeler

Filling a selection that is not 100% selected will retain some transparency at those edges

RICH72601

Hi Rich

Glad you got it fixed. I am assuming the the CTRL+left click was on the Layers thumbnail to select the pixels.

With that assumption, the problem you can have is when there is partial transparency in the image. I bet your original image had some partial transparency around the edges of the colored images and that remained in spite of other steps that might have been taken. When filled with white, that leave it looking grayish which is really just transparency looking through to the Layer underneath.

Transparency around the edges is pretty easy to get if you have feathering, antialiasing, or even sharpening around Text when done when the object is on a transparent background.

You would get the exact results you had.

Just a thought

John Wheeler

Filling a selection that is not 100% selected will retain some transparency at those edges

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense and I think I have run into that before.

thebestcpu

Guru
BTW Rich

The issue in detecting this is that the selection or marching ants only shows the transition point that crosses 50% gray. To see if you have anything creeping in, covert the selection to a Layer Mask with the Layer>Layer Mask> From Transparency and then Alt Click on the Layer Mask Thumbnail in the Layers panel and the full grayscale equivalent will show. If yolu have anything but pure black and white, then you have a partial selection. Sometime that is what you want and sometimes it isn't

John Wheeler

I have found previously that when you select an area and hit ALT+BACKSPACE or Edit>Fill, it often leaves an outline of the original color. If you re-do the command a few times, it will probably solve the problem.

Agent