What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layers with Alpha, and how to fill

Sylvermoon

Need help with this please... So I am trying to make a skin (for Second Life avatars) and I want to fill in the edges of a layer that are alpha'd. I remember doing this about 10 years ago (have completely forgotten how to though). I know I can just make a background layer and fill it with a similar/close color...but I'm pretty sure there's a way to have the fill (an auto fill) be on the same layer and have it take the color of the edges of the alpha'd layer so I don't have to choose in the color picker. Not sure if it was a free tool or not, or if it was something already built into PS. If you know, please do reply. Much appreciated. Thank you!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Could you please post an example of what the problem is?

Sylvermoon

Could you please post an example of what the problem is?
Here's a pic.

See the area that's alpha'd? I'd like to fill that in from the edges of the face/head itself...without having to create a new layer. Thanks!

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you talking about filling in the skin color in the transparent areas?

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 9.17.59 AM.png

Use the Brush Tool or the Clone stamp Tool.

There is a thread on this somewhere.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So there's no automatic tool that will just auto-fill from the edges of the face?
You could use the Lasso Tool to make small selections, then right click, choose fill, make sure it's set to content aware. It wont do as good of a job though.

thebestcpu

Guru
I don't know of a single tool or command that does exactly what you want.

Not sure about why using an Action with additional Layers and Flattening afterwards would be a problem

However to do this in a single Layer:

- Select all transparency with anti alias
- expand selection to include edge effects softening that exist in your image (it is not one consistent color on a pixel basis along the edges)
- Sample the color you want to fill with and Opt+Del (Alt+backspace on PC) to fill the transparency area with the edge fill color you sampled
- Leave selection active and do a guassian blur to the same level you expanded the original selection into the image

Here is what I got with those steps (screen capture to show the selection edge)

Hope this is of some help

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 1.08.00 PM.png

Sylvermoon

I don't know of a single tool or command that does exactly what you want.

Not sure about why using an Action with additional Layers and Flattening afterwards would be a problem

It's just for the sake of efficiency, that's all and why I asked. I do know how to fill and merge...but with making these skins a few hundred or so a week, it can get tedious.

Thanks all for the answers though :)