What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixing rough edges when using green background(trying to put on white background)

cowsgonemadd3

Currently I am doing some photo work on a green background. Sometimes it works great, other times it leaves a very rough edge around my products. What can I do to fix these rough edges? Or to get rid of the green easier than how I am currently doing it.
I have attached a screen recorded video of how I do it. What other techniques can I do to put my products on a white background easier? Going around the edges with a paint tool is way too slow. [video=youtube_share;_x684i4A8po]https://youtu.be/_x684i4A8po[/video]

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Just another quick tip. I find that the Background or Magic Eraser Tool works great on consistent solid color backgrounds. If that fails, I personally would use an alpha channel technique for this.

gedstar

Guru
Yep the Pen Tool would probably be a better option like @Eggy suggested and @IamSam suggestion sounds good too, which I didn't see until after I posted this :cheesygrin: sometimes I really miss the Auto Refresh :cry:

Last edited:

cowsgonemadd3

The alpha channel is the color range thing? I am just a newbie when it comes to photoshop. I want to learn photoshop so I can be a better employee at my company. I do a lot of tasks here a this company and I like the variety. I believe I have the ability to learn and excel at whatever I want to.

Last edited:

cowsgonemadd3

I tried the color range and then refine edge...it seems to not know where the edge is.
The goal is to have a smooth wood look, as if it was never messed with.

refined.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cowsgonemadd3

That looks like it worked nicely. Will it work once I add in the whole product with brackets? I uploaded the original here, I will give it a try and see if I can make that work.205yxya.jpg

cowsgonemadd3

Here is my try, your looks better haha I have never used the pen tool. It takes a bit of time to get it "to the pixel" but it does make a straight edge. For some reason when I hit "ctrl + c" and pasted it onto a new layer, mine washed out badly.
2ljpd7k.jpg

cowsgonemadd3

That's is odd. Might have been the file host that shrank it. I told photoshop to save it as the largest possible. I just know it looked okay and when I copied it, hit ctrl + N and made it on a new white background it totally washed out as you can see.

hawkeye

Guru
I believe the difficulty you are having is the green screen color being reflected on the item. You might try moving the items farther away from the green screen when you photograph them; 4-5 even 6 feet away is not too far.
Actually a plain white or neutral backdrop might serve you better.