What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supercharge the clone stamp tool

JoeJ

How to supercharge the clone stamp tool in Photoshop?

I have found a tutorial on a website, but unfortunately I couldn't quite follow the video, as it's too fast and I am hard of hearing, and a slow learner at my age.

Can you kindly send me step-by-step directions please? Not a video, if possible.

My main problem is shifting and rotating the cloned image in a picture.

Must I use layers for the job, or is there an easier and more straight-forward method?

Thank you for kindness and patience with a pensioner.

JoeJ

Pipsmom

Guru
I thought I had saved all the PS learning tutorials but thanks to you I now need to learn this tip too...

https://youtu.be/YCtBcabzRPw

The pro's will answer you question just wanted to thank you for posting as I am a beginner also.

JoeJ

Many thks. Hope you and me will have our problem solved. The people on the Ph/shp Gurus Forum are always so very helpful. With them, we are always in good hands.

Wish you well.

joe

gedstar

Guru
Hi Joej

Here's some tutorials on the Clone Stamp Tool and other Tools
https://digital-photography-school.com/12-tips-for-mastering-the-clone-stamp-tool-in-photoshop/
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/03/the-ultimate-guide-to-cloning-in-photoshop/

I know you don't want videos but check these out
https://phlearn.com/tutorial/master-clone-stamp-tool-photoshop/
http://photoshopcafe.com/clone-stamp-photoshop-tutorial

Depending on what your trying to do the Clone Stamp Tool may not always be the right tool for the job, there are other tools that you can use like the Content Aware Move, Patch Tool, Spot Healing Brush and Healing Brush, sometimes you may need to use a combination of some or all of these tools.

Maybe if you could post the image in question and explain what you're trying to achieve we could provide a better solution!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First let me say that the Clone Stamp Tool has always been supercharged! The keyboard shortcuts and the Clone Source panel with all these options have always been there. This is nothing new. If you've done your due diligence in learning the tool you should have been aware of these options for the tool.

My main problem is shifting and rotating the cloned image in a picture.
JoeJ, in all my years of using the Clone Stamp Tool, Ive only had a few occasions where I needed to change the angle (rotate) the sample source and I've never needed to nudge/shift it or enlarge it. It's nice to have these options I guess, but I don't think you will have much need for them in most cases.

While I'm a huge proponent of keyboard shortcuts I use a Wacom Tablet and I myself can work much faster using the Clone Source Panel so I don't use the keyboard shortcuts for this tool at all. I also don't use the Overlay mode at all. I'm the one that designates the sample source so I know what's going to happen when I use the tool............I don't need to see a preview.

Must I use layers for the job, or is there an easier and more straight-forward method?
Yes absolutely! Always use a new layer for Clone Stamp work.............never work directly on the image layer. And I would only recommend using sample "current layer and below" because if you use "all layers", you may find yourself in a mess if you need to come back and do some additional clone work after you've added a few layers on top of the cloning layer.

I know you said you don't want a video but try this one that Ged suggested to see if he doesn't explain the options better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BChwzIslDJg

JoeJ

Many thanks for prompt reply.

Have tried to duplicate the subject in a picture I took and, as you say, I think it's best to send you a copy to explain my
problem more clearly.

But how to attach a copy to my reply?

Renewed thanks for patience.

JoeJ

JoeJ

Thks again.

I would like to duplicate the subject in the attached photo. Is there any other EASIER way than using the clone stamp tool?

The knocker.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You could use the pen tool to make a selection of the object and 'cut' it out of the background.
The pen tool is in my opinion the most important way to make a good selection.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You mean something like this? I just made a selection of the door knocker with the Rectangular Marquis Tool and moved it over.
I then added a layer mask and used the Brush Tool to blend it in.

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 8.58.13 PM.png

Or are you trying to reproduce it on another surface?

JoeJ

Frist and foremost, my apologies for not replying earlier. At age 79, I am becoming more and more of a slowcoach. And the rapid passage of time eludes me.

The duplicated image of the knocker that you sent me is exactly what I had in mind. But, how to add the new layer you mention? And then, how to use the paint brush, by means of the paint bucket?

Renewed thanks for your kindness, your help, and your patience.

Joe

gedstar

Guru
Hi Joe

Not sure if this is the way that Sam done his, but here's one way

Open your image and then hit the C key on the keyboard to select the Crop Tool and then extend the canvas to the left

View attachment 76712

Next select the Rectangle Marquee Tool and make a selection around the knocker

View attachment 76713

Then hit CTRL + J to copy that to a new layer and then select V for the Move Tool and hold the shift key and drag the copy to the left
Next add a Layer Mask as indicated by the white arrow

View attachment 76714

Make sure the Layer Mask is selected and that the default foreground color is set to black, hit B to select the Brush Tool and just start painting on the Layer Mask down the center

View attachment 76715

You can always do a bit of cloning just to remove some of the duplicate patterns

View attachment 76716

Last edited:

JoeJ

Thanks for your help, but where is the method you suggest? I am getting a message "Refresh your page to see replies".

My problem: how to refresh the page?

Renewed thanks.

Joe

gedstar

Guru
Hi Joe

Sam mentioned that he done it the same way as me so just use my method
Refreshing your page just means reloading the webpage that your on to see if there are any new replies, there use to be a auto refresh option enabled on the forum that would automatically do that but it has been disabled