What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame-by-frame animation

jackwi1

Hi. I'm trying to make a frame-by-frame animation in which each frame stays visible and the next frame is put on top of the previous one. Is there any way to do this in Photoshop? Something like this. I know how to do it manually, by making all layers below the current frame visible, but with a lot of frames that's just too much work... I'd appreciate any help.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I know how to do it manually, by making all layers below the current frame visible, but with a lot of frames that's just too much work....
I'm not sure what else you would be expecting? You've basically answered your own question.

You would build and position your layers in the layers panel. Turn them all off but layer 1. Open timeline and then frame animation. Add a new frame, turn on layer 2, add a new frame turn on layer 3, repeat until done. Adjust your delay.

Here's a quick example..........
FramAnimationExample_03.gif

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi jackwi1

An action could be created to create a frame, move up one layer, turn on visibility and assign this action to a keyboard shortcut

Then with all the Layers, all you have to do is turn off all visibility except for the bottom Layer and with the bottom Layer selected, just keep using that keyboard shortcut until you at the top of the stack.

If you have hundreds of Layers, you could create an Action to cal the prior action and run it some large number of times until you get close to the top.

If you want total automation of this, it could be done with a script that could sense the number of Layers and automate it totally

So those are the approaches that could be taken in PS of which I am aware

Hope those tidbits help some

John Wheeler

jackwi2

Thanks for answers. I managed to do what I wanted to do using actions. (I'm using a second account because I forgot the password to the first one and I have no way of retrieving it)