What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any tips on how to make the waves on my logo look less grainy?

Scott Laidlaw

i created this bouy logo in cs6 for my friend's youtube channel. It looked like a bouy, but it needed waves to complete the look. I tried to create waves from scratch, but i couldn't get them to look right. So instead, as a test, i cut the waves from a photo that i had laying around on my computer, changed the color to match, and did some editing to make it fit better. Now the only problem i have with it is that the the waves look grainy. (probably because i cut the waves from another picture.) Is there a way to make the waves look less pixelated around the edges? ive tried refining the edges (which I may be doing wrong), and i've also tried the painstaking process of zooming in and trying to even it out with the eraser tool. (it started to look "bumpy".) I've attached the psd for the logo that i created, and i've also uploaded the picture that I cut the wave graphic from. Any tips or tricks to help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Star Bouy logo.psd
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • wavey ship.jpg
    wavey ship.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Bouy alpha.png
    Bouy alpha.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The size of your main project is 2.550px X 3.300px.
The original wave size image is only 300px X 148px.

When you enlarge the wave picture using the transform tool it will be blocky since PS doesn't smooth the border of this bitmap!

What I would do is transform the wave picture to the correct/desired size, use the pen tool to trace one wave, make a selection of it on his own layer and use that new wave selection.

Enlarged wave picture with block edge
Untitled-1.jpg

traced with pen and made into a selection

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
I totally agree with Eggy - the pen tool is your friend :)

Cheers

John