What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Solutions to common problems

Steve

Retired Administrator
The first thing that you should do if you have any problems whatsoever is to apply the latest Photoshop updates and update your video card drivers. If Photoshop starts acting weird then you should also reset your preferences

Photoshop CS5 issues
Known Photoshop CS5 issues

Problem: Photoshop doesn't start, gives (0xc000001d) error
Solution: Install the 12.0.1 patch for Photoshop, link up top.

Problem: Repousse or 3D features do not work
Solution: Make sure that your video card supports OpenGL Drawing and that it is enabled in Preferences->Performance

Problem: The Save As dialog box doesn't show up
Solution: This happens because your monitor resolution is below the minimum system requirements of 1024x768

Problem: When you zoom in using the Scrubby Zoom feature you cannot pan to see the work canvas
Solution: It's a known bug, to fix it simply zoom in or out using any of the traditional methods

General Photoshop issues

Problem: Brush cursor is broken up
Solution: Update your video card drivers

Problem: Photoshop displays weird lines, squares or other artifacts
Solution: If updating your video card drivers doesn't help then you will have to disable OpenGL Drawing from Edit->Preferences->Performance

Problem: Photoshop doesn't recognize the video card on XP-64
Solution: OpenGL drawing is not supported on this platform due to OS and driver issues.

Problem: Photoshop doesn't recognize the video card (NOT XP-64)
Solution: The video card driver says that it does not support the minimum requirements for Photoshop. Check your video card capabilities against the requirements for Photoshop OpenGL use ( GPU and OpenGL support | Photoshop CS4, CS5 ). Updating the video card driver may solve the problem, or you may need to contact the GPU maker to let them know about the problem.

Problem: Hand Tool is stuck and selecting tools doesn't work
Solution: In most cases this can be solved by simply tapping the space bar

Problem: Brushes don't work
Solution: Move the pen away from your tablet. If that doesn't work then update your tablet drivers.

Problem: Images look different in Photoshop or the colors aren't redered correctly
Solution: You need to calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibration device or, if you don't have one, with something like Calibrize

Problem: Photoshop slows down after using it for prolonged periods of time
Solution: Check out this tech note: Optimize Photoshop performance | CS4, CS5 | Windows 7, Vista, XP

Problem: General installation problems
Solution: Try running the Adobe Clean Script for CS4/CS5

Problem: Cannot open Camera Raw files
Solution: Check out this tech note: Can't open Camera Raw file

Last edited:

sPECtre

Guru
Steve, could you link to 12.02, and remove the bugs fixed by that version?

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
Adobe Photoshop 12.0.2 update for Adobe Photoshop CS5

Applies to all languages EXCEPT Middle Eastern, North African and Greek.

The Adobe Photoshop 12.0.2 update fixes a number of high priority bugs including painting performance and type-related issues.

The most significant fixes in the Photoshop 12.0.2 update include the following:

— A number of potential security vulnerabilities have been addressed
— Top type and font crashers found in the field have been addressed
— A number of performance issues have been addressed
— Crash opening 3D layers has been addressed
— Color Engine crash has been resolved
— Intermittent file format issues addressed
— Shift scrolling bug fixed
— Sharpen crasher fixed
— Marching ants not seen at certain zoom levels fixed
— Metadata focus distance issue addressed
— File info bug addressed for Orphea Studio jpg files
— TWAIN crashers fixed
— Brush cursor bug fixed
— Histogram progress bar issue fixed
— Droplet issues addressed

Aaron_NKC

Hello, question. I have noticed a problem at home on my imac with CS5, and at work on windows 7 with CS5. When using the healing brush to touch up dust spots, take out can lights in a ceiling and various things like that which have never been a problem in previous versions of photoshop, it is leaving a pattern. I have searched the forums and found no examples of this happening to others. My coworker moments ago told me she is having the problem as well. Have tried every setting option, to no avail. This is not happening in extensive photoshop areas, but where it should be a very simple fix like I said of a dust spot on a painted wall, or a small recessed light on a white ceiling. It often resembles a line of pixels with dark marks in it. Any help, or fix would be appreciated. It's becoming very annoying and time consuming. Really don't want to have to go back to the IT dept, and request CS4 instead, when it was hard enough to get this upgrade. Thanks!

davidphotoshop

Thanks for the problem and solution tips steve..
but my CS4 always show:
cs4.JPG

:redx:

but it's no problem, I still can use my CS4 :naughty:

Saranya

Banned
REally very informative post to solve this problem.. Everyone can understand easily.. thanks a lot..

Hello, Can you handle also CS6 problems? If so, my problem is that when I'm working trying to use FILTERS, LIQUEFY BLOAT, the PC completely freezes.. All other programs and all other Photoshop applications work fine. What is wrong? The image is not too big so I have discarded this as the cause of the problem. Thanks

Paul

Former Member
Note: Adobe tested laptop and desktop versions of the following cards. Be sure to download the latest driver for your specific model. (Laptop and desktop versions have slightly different names.)
nVidia GeForce 8000, 9000, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 series
nVidia Quadro 400, 600, 2000, 4000 (Mac & Win), CX, 5000, 6000
AMD/ATI Radeon 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 series
AMD/ATI FirePro 3800, 4800, 5800, 7800, 8800, 9800, 3900, 4900, 5900, 7900
Intel Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics P3000, Intel HD Graphics P4000
Note: ATI X1000 series and nVidia 7000 series cards are no longer being tested and are not officially supported in CS6 – some basic GL functionality may be available for both these cards.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4418024