What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems AdobeFnt.lst and supplied fonts

G

Graphics Guru

Hello everyone,

Today I was just about to start on an order I got for a banner. I recieved some materials to work with including fonts. However, I have been using photoshop for a few years now and I never heard of the adobefnt.lst files. However, I found out about what they do and what they are basically for, I think.

However, the real problem is that i recieved a font folder. Within this font folder there was another folder named: "Helvetica Neue Condensed 3". Within this folder there were 8 files:

AdobeFnt.lst
HelveNeuHeaCon
HelveNeuHeaConObl
HelveNeuLigCon
HelveNeuLigConObl
HelveNeuMedCon
HelveNeuMedConObl
Helvetica Neue Condensed 3

So to me it looks like a font and some different styles. The problem is i can't install these files, which names' appear to be font names, I tried giving them some font extensions, like .ttf but it didn't work. So my question remains...

How to install and use these files? I hope you guys can help me!

Thanks in Advance :)

Erik

Guru
This may be an InDesign issue. Or an Acrobat one. Chances are these files are not "real" fonts but specific files that only the application in which they were used/imbedded can recognise.

If the font(s) is/are for example from Adobe's FontFolio, they may not be freely distributed. And this may be some kind of protection against that.

Pierre (SPECTRE) may provide you with a better answer when he logs in and finds this thread.

mflintjer

Power User
If they truly are font files -- wouldn't placing them in the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder be the better way to go? [confused]

theKeeper

Guru
When any Adobe app get's installed, it creates a special "Adobe" folder on your system drive (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts). Try putting the font files in there and see if any of the Adobe programs you have recognize/load them.

FYI: any normal fonts dumped into this 'special' Adobe folder will load the fonts into your Adobe programs, without the fonts having to be installed on your system like usual. This can allow you to use them in your design apps, without sucking up system resources. ;)

Hopefully that'll be the case. But if not, i myself have no other specific ideas about them. Perhaps you should post this on Adobe's "U2U" board as well? Their techs can see it and hopefully give you the straight goods on this situation. :B

mflintjer

Power User
keeper, thanx for the heads-up on this situation. wasn't aware of the implications of system resource usage doing it that way! :D

G

Graphics Guru

mflintjer said:
If they truly are font files -- wouldn't placing them in the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder be the better way to go? [confused]

I wish it was that easy, of course i tried that but when pasting the files into the fonts folder it says that the files are corrupt or damaged. Like I said I've also tried giving them font extensions, but that didn't work either.

When any Adobe app get's installed, it creates a special "Adobe" folder on your system drive (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts). Try putting the font files in there and see if any of the Adobe programs you have recognize/load them.

FYI: any normal fonts dumped into this 'special' Adobe folder will load the fonts into your Adobe programs, without the fonts having to be installed on your system like usual. This can allow you to use them in your design apps, without sucking up system resources.

Hopefully that'll be the case. But if not, i myself have no other specific ideas about them. Perhaps you should post this on Adobe's "U2U" board as well? Their techs can see it and hopefully give you the straight goods on this situation.

Installing them in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts doesn't work either. None of my adobe software loads them. Besides that I'm not quite sure where to post my messages on the adobe boards since there are like 20.000 forums. \:]

This may be an InDesign issue. Or an Acrobat one. Chances are these files are not "real" fonts but specific files that only the application in which they were used/imbedded can recognise.

I also tried indesign, again, it didn't work. Also I doubt that since the supplied in which the fonts are used are .psd's.

Thanks for the suggestions... 8))

Hopefully someone can still tell me what these mysterious files are supposed to be.

bogemlabs

Try to open it with wordpad or any text editor. It only contains path information of the font that is used for the project. there you can find font/s used for the project. I hope it helps.;)

Paul

Former Member
Try to open it with wordpad or any text editor. It only contains path information of the font that is used for the project. there you can find font/s used for the project. I hope it helps.;)

Even though your reply is greatly appreciated, you are aware that the thread is almost ten years old.

bogemlabs

Even though your reply is greatly appreciated, you are aware that the thread is almost ten years old.

Well i didn't noticed it, however I also found the same problem just now, and try to google it and find no answer about it. so hopefully someone else that facing the same problem will find it solved.