What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5. various Tool problems on Gray image

Rupert

Several tools are not usable on 50% gray image.
Try this:
Create a new image and fill it with 50% Gray.
Select the Polygonal Lasso tool and draw a random shape - you cannot see your selection until you release the Mouse button.

Remove the selection and now try the Crop Tool. Crop a selection and make sure that the Crop Guide Overlay is set to Grid or Rule of Thirds - the grid lines are not visible.

Select the Color Sampler Tool and click anywhere on the image - no sample points are visible.

Similar problems occur with Patch Tool, Pen Tool, Path tool, Rectangle tool (and it's other associated shape tools).

Now I realise that it's unlikely that you will be working on a solid 50% Gray image very often but if you have an image containing an ammount of neutral gray then using some of the above Tools will become a problem.
I've tried the above on a friends' CS3 and there are no such problems.
So this looks like a bug to me.
Any thoughts?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Not for me in CS5.
I see the lasso tool, and the lines in the crop box.
Sample points are OK too when holding the Shift key.

Make sure you've run all the updates for PS, and check your video card drivers to.

Rupert

Hey Steve, you've cracked it!
It was my Video card driver that required an update.
Thanks so much for that, it's been bugging me for days.