What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line in Gradient

Carrie56

Power User
ok this is driving me wacko cause I cant seem to get rid of it. I have tried starting this project from scratch I have purged photoshop I even rebooted my comp but I have no idea why this is happening?

I make a gradient in a selected area on a transparent layer and its fine. I transform>warp>flag 20% curve and as you can see it doesn't happen every time but once it does I cant get rid of it! I get this strange line. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am using CS4.

BusCard1.png

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I don't know why.... but it happens to me sometimes, too. I simply repeat the process and it doesn't happen.....

There was a thread around here about gradient problems. Couldn't find it.....

iDad

Guru
it looks like maybe the new layer is not lined up with the other before merging my first thought. it looks like like the edge of the gradient

Carrie56

Power User
I have a work around but its happening a lot on this particular project that has a deadline and is really important since it will go into a business card design.

SeniorS

Guru
I still didn't get why it happens but think got stupid solution.

I made gradient in transparent layer and copied its "selection" by clicking CTRL on layer (wanted to test how it reacts on diferent colors).
And those lines, thats amazing, showed from nothing after transform.

Then i load saved selection and make layer adjusment gradient with the exact the same color. Transformed and no lines!
So its kinda solution.

But why it happens still is mystery for me.

Tried diferent flag's procents. Done it with guides showing where was previos ones lines. And at 10% and 20% they are SAME!
And it you can see how selection (transparention) transform anomaly:
warpselection.jpg

After a little experiment find out that:
1. With one selection every color gives exact same "lines".
2. Interval between them are constant (for same selection) but sometimes not throw all image.
3. Diferent selection gives diferent "lines".
4. Some selection gives none.

That information don't help much but as i tried it on CS5. And it is same on CS4 so that is NOT a program malfuction (logic tells that).
Then it must be same crazy mathematic "bug" which involves correlation between selection width and height (my assume).

SeniorS

Guru
Okey, tested a little more. Looks that all 4 similar transformation (flag,wave,fish,rise) gives same result.
My crazy theory is that PS have fault in optimization (or with something like that) algoritm.
It isn't gradient fault because 36% selection filled with plain color gived same lines.
So i blame it how they calculate that things.
My assuming is that they divide selection to portions, make their thing and then blend together and blend not so good and that why happens to apear in transparent selection lines with 0% transparency.

Maybe someone should contact Abobe and tell them that?

Carrie56

Power User
If you get the line in a flag transformation and you go back and use skew moving one side up or down will also move the line in the gradient left or right I had discovered earlier. Thing is the line is not even consistent every time the gradient is made or even where it lands when it is made (one gradient had the line in the center, using the same settings colors etc the line was off center to the right)