What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Takes a LONG LONG time to open CS3? WHY?

bozojim

Hello, :rolleyes:
I have this onboard >

MSI P-35 Platinum MS-7345 Mobo
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
2.4 GHz, 3328 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512 Memory Size
Realtek HD Audio Output Sound
DirectX version: 9.0c
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2035wm Series
WD 500 GB HDD / WD 74GB RAPTOR HDD
Pioneer DVD -RW / DVR 111D
NERO 9
PHOTOSHOP CS3

Every time I open up my CS3 Photoshop program, it seems to take forever and EVER! Almost like four to five minutes. The only thing I can think of is the time it takes to load up my brushes, which are only about 100 or so, but I use all them often.

Will deleting the non-essential brushes help speed up the program, or is there other things I can do to help open faster? :sad:

I always clean up my disk and run de-frag about twice a week,as well as delete cookies, and recycle bin..

Another note - I have 4GB DDR2 Ram (XP32 Bit limitations) My computer shows 3.3RAM, In CS3 Prerences it shows 1708 Available ram.it was set at 55% or 939MB (ideal range showed 939-1230) What would be the MOST percentage to use while working with photoshop? I also change my scratch disk from my boot drive C:\ 29.19 GB to my storage secondary drive F:\ 190.85 GB)

Last edited:
Hi bozojim

When Photoshop loads the start screen it always shows you the load process for example it says loading brushes,starting plugins, loading preferences,etc

Have you tried to identify which process takes the longest before PS crashes.

That way we can identify what's causing the problem.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Why don't you try resetting the preferences file, it may be corrupt.
Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

bozojim

Thanks,
I added to my above post that I noticed the PREFERENCES took all that time to load and open up CS3.

One time after creating about forty new brushes, shut down, rebooted, opened up CS3, it opened up within 30 seconds, WOW, I thought,that was fast.... then when I opened up the brushes palette,all my recently made brushes that I just made earlier in the day just disappeared! Zilch, whole lotta nada! Usually I save them,but not this time.

Does anyone know why brushes simply vanish? I DO know enough to save them, but.......