What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving .eps as .png

I've never really worked with eps files, so this may be a dumb question. When I first opened the eps file, it gave me dpi and image size options, then rasterized it to that size, and I was able to work with it like a normal file. When I went to save it, however, many of the format options were missing; the only ones available are psd, eps, jpeg, pdf, raw, and tif. The save options are also different; whereas normally the alpha chanels box would be grayed out, it's selected along with layers by default. If I try to change it to how it normally would be, it automatically selects "save as copy." I'm trying to save as png. How do I do it?

I'm using Photoshop 6 on Windows 7, by the way.

EDIT: This also happens even if I save it as a psd then try to save it as a png.

EDIT 2: The save options thing was only happening because I had a saved selection, so that cleared up when I deleted it. I still have the format problem, though.

Last edited:

SeniorS

Guru
Try to Flattern image (menu Layers/Flatern Image) first then save to png.

Hi 755 Welcome to PSG

Once you opened the .EPS file you set the size and resolution of the file right.

Make sure that you change the mode to RGB or CMYK so you can still working and saving files including transparencies.

other ways you are not gonna be able to save it as JPG or PNG

* You can also change the working space mode later by going to Image>Mode

SeniorS

Guru
Second thought - i'm wrong with that.

Check what color mode you choose when rasterize your eps? Isn't that Lab?

Reactions: 755

Vafann

Guru
Hi 755 Welcome to PSG

Once you opened the .EPS file you set the size and resolution of the file right.

Make sure that you change the mode to RGB or CMYK so you can still working and saving files including transparencies.

Hello! I am having this problem too. Photoshop won´t let me save my PSD as jpeg or png. I have my colors set to RGB, but it doesn´t help. Can the problem be that my files are too big? Is there some limit to what size they have to be to be able to save them in jpeg? / Vafann

SeniorS

Guru
There isn't reason not to be able to save RGB as png. With can't save 16bit image.
If it is 8bit RGB even with layers and alpha chanells PS let save to jpg and png. It will want to make copy of that image, removing extra chanells and layers.

So question, PS don't even let choose jpg and png or what?

Vafann

Guru
OH!!!! Yes! I think that´s it!! Now that I think about it, this has been happening since I have been using 16 bit instead of 8 because i though it would be better with more lol! I will try to change it, i´m quite sure that it must be the problem. Thank you senior S!

SeniorS

Guru
Welcomen!

For making jpg, png and gifs from psd and tiff and all other complicated project with layers and etc. One good way is use Save For Web & Devices and choose there needed format.
So use 16bit and when neede web kinda file use that.
That will save copy of your project for using in web or where you need it without posibility loosing original file. I don't use it but i'm taking risk. There were some accident when after flaterning and removing everything and saving as jpg, i didn't undo all afterwards that and save plain file.

Vafann

Guru
Ok! I don´t really know why I have been using 16 bit in the first place, I read somewere that it was better for something, but I can´t tell the difference anyway. :)

SeniorS

Guru
I heard it too (in some tutorials). But i think it's like mp3, i don't hear diference between 320kbs and 196kbs so why keep bigger files.

JibsMann

Hi 755 Welcome to PSG

This fixed my issue of not having the option of saving to .PNG. THANK YOU!:lol: