What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop not opening - please help!

Hi guys,

I'm having problems whenever I try and open my copy of Photoshop CS5. It fails and gives the message "Could not initialise Photoshop because of a program error".

All the other Adobe programs I have work fine (and were all part of the same CS5 suite). Also I created another user account and it opens up fine on there. I thought it may have been that I was running an outdated OS, but I've upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and it's still doing the same thing.

I've searched all around the net for an answer but no one seems to have one. What information do I need to provide to be able to get any help with this?

Many thanks in advance

Oli

Sounds like you need to deactivate then reactivate ...... On iTouch but others can explain process

Hi,

I wasn't able to deactivate from Photoshop because I can't open it, but the instructions advised I do it from another program.

I tried doing it through InDesign by going Help>Deactivate... and selecting 'Deactivate Permanently' but when I loaded Photoshop again, it still comes up with the same message "Could not initialise Photoshop because of a program error". Any ideas?

It works fine on the other test account I set up. Is there a way of just moving all my stuff from my regular account to the test one? I don't really care which I use as long as I've still got all my files and Photoshop works ok.

Cheers

Hey guys - i'm still having problems with this - I deactivated/reactivated and it's still not working. I've also uninstalled Photoshop and installed the newest version CS5.1 and it's STILL giving me the same error message!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Failing this, does anyone know any easy way to migrate all my stuff from one account to the other where it does still work?

Many thanks

Oli

Have you tried resetting the Preferences file?

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Back