What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

selection 1px weirdness PS CS5

ephemera

Hi, Ive recently hit upon a snag with photoshop cs5 that just seemed to start happening all of a sudden since today on both my macs which by the way are relatively new i.e. 6 months old.

So here is the thing- I have drawn a path using the pen tool in photoshop cs5 then I use 'command j' to copy the selection to new layer, then I delete the selection from the back ground layer. This should look no different however I can see a 1 px gap between the background and the new layer. It happens sometimes with the marquee tool also but with the pen its consistent. As I said yesterday it was fine. I have the latest updates installed etc. I can't understand what is going on here. I have tried disabling openGL drawing but it makes no diff and I hate having it disabled anyhow. I have no idea how to fix this. Thanks for any advice.

Is there actually a difference or does it just show up when you zoom in/out?

Hi, yes the gap is definitely there whether I am zoomed or not. I have reset prefs but it made no difference. I don't understand how it can be fine one day and suddenly this issue on both my macs. Its very strange and very annoying as I have a major uni project due and I cannot do it.
Should I reinstall? If so whats the best way to do so so that I don't run into any issues.

if it is happening on separate machines, it would suggest the problem is with you or your project files. Upload a screenshot of the problem - All I can think is that the anti-aliasing is making it appear that there is a gap

if it is happening on separate machines, it would suggest the problem is with you or your project files. Upload a screenshot of the problem - All I can think is that the anti-aliasing is making it appear that there is a gap

I just tried again with the marquee tool and when I zoomed in and out it disappeared and reappeared

I just spent an hour on the phone to adobe. They took me through a whole bunch of things none of which resolved the problem. they then said reinstall which I did and still I have the problem. Please see the image attached. You will see there is a gap. This is after having created a selection from a path, command J to copy selection to new layer, then deleting the selection from the original layer.

Screen Shot 2011-09-29 at 6.06.46 PM.png

Hi ephemera

I was able to recreate you issue on my machine, PS cs5X on win 7, and let me tell you that yes, there's a pixel border missing on the original image after duplicating your selection on a new layer and going back to delete it, on the original one.

This happens every time, when working whit that kind of stuff using multiple selections, this seems to be some kind of bug on the program itself, the only way that i find out, that works avoiding this kind of selection behavior is, when you create a selection from your path, make sure you turn off the "anti-aliased" option, also make sure that before you hit Cmd+j or Cntrl+j PC, to duplicate your selection, you go to SELECT> modify and expand 1 px, whit your active selection on, and only then proceed to duplicate your selection to a new layer, adding 1 extra pixel to your selection will make it up for the missing pixel to begin whit.

And when you will come back to delete your selection in the original background, you will notice that the gap will be gone

I know this is tedious and won't make so much sense, but this is the only way, at list for now to deal whit this issue.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi ephemera

I was able to recreate you issue on my machine, PS cs5X on win 7, and let me tell you that yes, there's a pixel border missing on the original image after duplicating your selection on a new layer and going back to delete it, on the original one.

This happens every time, when working whit that kind of stuff using multiple selections, this seems to be some kind of bug on the program itself, the only way that i find out, that works avoiding this kind of selection behavior is, when you create a selection from your path, make sure you turn off the "anti-aliased" option, also make sure that before you hit Cmd+j or Cntrl+j PC, to duplicate your selection, you go to SELECT> modify and expand 1 px, whit your active selection on, and only then proceed to duplicate your selection to a new layer, adding 1 extra pixel to your selection will make it up for the missing pixel to begin whit.

And when you will come back to delete your selection in the original background, you will notice that the gap will be gone

I know this is tedious and won't make so much sense, but this is the only way, at list for now to deal whit this issue.

Hope this helps.

I have tried this and it does not work. The only thing that does work (sometimes but not all) is zooming approx 100% and over then the gap will disappear. If you try to recreate the issue again at 50% zoom you will see it makes no difference.

This means that when I flatten my image or print I have to make sure to be zoomed correctly otherwise the artefact will become flattened into the image and will also print!! This is terrible. This also makes it very difficult to work as I cannot be zoomed at 100% all the time.

Last edited:
Hi ephemera

Hope this helps.

Cuando esta Bueno, esta muy BUENO !

It worked as he said to me !

Back