What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

image size confusion

ephemera

I want my image to fit on my screen at 100% My screen is larger than A4 however when I resize my image to A4 size it is off the screen by far. Whats with that??
How can this be?

Hoogle

Guru
Are you viewing photoshop in full screen also just because the physical size of the screen is bigger than A4 If you do not have your resolution set to your screens actual size it will zoom in and zoom out for example on my 50 inch screen if I choose a low resolution of 800 x 600 in display properties an A4 size document will be more like A3 if I set it higher than 1920 x 1080 it will be smaller than A4. right click on your desktop open up screen resolution and also have an A4 document open at 100% scale adjust your resolution accordingly.

LRG

A4 is a size for printing. what matters is your document pixel dimension. it should match with your displays resolution to fit perfectly. So, for example if you have a 1920x1080 screen resolution(very common nowadays), make the image according to that. If you are not sure about your screen, right click on desktop and choose some display option(depending on your operation system).

Last edited:

ephemera

A4 is a size for printing. what matters is your document pixel dimension. it should be match with your displays resolution to fit perfectly. So, for example if you have a 1920x1080 screen resolution(very common nowadays), make the image according to that. If you are not sure about your screen, right click on desktop and choose some display option(depending on your operation system).

Thanks but that doesn't make any sense to me. Its like you are speaking another language. All I want is this - If my document size says 29 x 21 cm in photoshop image size then I want it to be 29 x 21 on my screen. Why would anyone want it to be any other way? Its just confusing to not have my size to be actual size.

Hoogle

Guru
right click your desktop wallpaper and select screen resolution and put it on the highest numbers available which should be your true size settings. It sounds like you have a lower resolution than what your screens native resolution is if after you have applied that your A4 is slightly smaller than actual size then decrease the resolution until it matches.

ephemera

right click your desktop wallpaper and select screen resolution and put it on the highest numbers available which should be your true size settings. It sounds like you have a lower resolution than what your screens native resolution is if after you have applied that your A4 is slightly smaller than actual size then decrease the resolution until it matches.

No I don't think it has anything to do with my desktop. I have tried every single resolution and none of them mke my photoshop image the true size that it is.
My image is 29 x 21 which is A4. I want it to be this size on my screen when views at 100%. It has nothing to do with desktop settings. Desktop settings just stretch or shrink what is already there so if I shrink my desktop then the image that is over the edges of my screen will still be over the edges of my screen but my screen will just be smaller. Surely you people must know this.

Also when I click on 'print size' , The image displayed is about half the size of A4???????? this is driving me nuts.

what I need is for the actual size to match the print size.

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
Well it was only meant as a basic resolution the truth is photoshop does not know your monitor size maybe 1 day they will release a version where you can actually input your monitor size making everyones life easier and that will convert pixels automatically end of the day your monitor has millions of pixels bigger pixels on bigger screens smaller pixels on smaller screens I guess for now the only way of seeing what is actual size is to forget about the zoom 100 % go to view >print size get a sheet of A4 paper and hold it against the screen and adjust the zoom to match. and yes adjusting your screen resolution will will zoom in and out and you have tried that so why didnt you automatically know it if we were so obviously wrong. But then I would assume with your knowledge that you could work out other suitable work arounds for example like I just suggested. O r that you would know if when setting up your image size 300 pixels per inch would be larger than the same document size but set to 72 pixels per inch. I know for my particular monitor. If I want to zoom in at 100 % and have it exact size of A4 paper held against the screen I have to have a document set up as A4 with a pixel resolution of 52 But then you have to go to edit >preferences units and rulers and set your type to pixels instead of point size other wise text will look horrible it will still be a bit Jaggy on large fonts. But if that is what you want and not worried about it going to print then I guess you will have to calculate your monitor to resolution ratio. But also consider this hence I never said it earlier what may look good on your monitor will not look good on someone elses monitor if it has a different resolution or size.

Hoogle

Guru
a photo guide note that @ 150 ppi will make individual pixels stand out and image will look fuzzyCapture.PNG

Last edited:

nataloran

well zoom in and zoom out can be useful still... maybe Ephemera you simply need to play with that ?