What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i keep blending effects consistant when scaling images?

mrlemonyfresh

I'm trying to create some vector art in photoshop that can be scaled to any size. The only trouble I'm having is that when i scale my image the blending effects stay the same, so for instance a 100 pixel wide shade should become 200 pixels wide but instead stays the same, so that I don't have the intended effect when I scale.

Thanks.

Have you tried converting it into a smart object first. The effects you are aplying are not on the object itself, but on everything on that layer, so changing the size of the vector art would not effect the settings to the layer effects. If you catch my drift. :)

mrlemonyfresh

I know what you mean, I understand the logic behind it but there must be a way to bypass it somehow. Hmm tried it all and converted it to a smart object but when I resize it having converted the layer, it's pixelated.

I only usually use Illustrator for vector files, so I'm not quite sure what else to suggest as far as photoshop is concerned. If you can wait until
tomorrow, save the image at 100% as a jpeg, email it to spruce@sprucemagoo1.com and I will convert the whole thing into a vector image for you.
Even if you don't find the answer to your issue, at least you will still end up with a vector file that you can resize and everything stay in proportion.

mrlemonyfresh

Thanks for the offer, but I'm making a mobile game with a programmer in this month I have before the holidays end and I need to keep our assets close and I can probably come up with a work around anyway.

Poxt

Banned
I had the same challenge as you, creating lots of images that had drop-shadows. The only way I trouble shot this project was to create all my source images as transparent PNG's with a drop shadow. I saved them in the source folder, and either imported, pasted, placed them into that layer. Amazingly enough they retained proportioned shadows and effects. Then I saved for web, and it worked perfect.

Poxt

Banned
You don't have print ready high resolution artwork? Where are your sources for this coming from, and in what format?
Assets for design are most critical element, and you need to be aware of how they are being supplied to you,... only if you want to up your graphics skills.

Stric9

Power User
I would think that if you want the effect to stay the same proportions you would need to rasterize the layer first otherwise you say u want a 5 px stroke you get a 5 px stroke even after resizing. Just my thoughts.

Hoogle

Guru
Kind of what stric has said anything like this I create a new blank lyer above th layer with the effects on and then if you merge those 2 layers together you rasterises the layer I use this technique in scenarios like Creating text adding a coloured stroke to it then I would merge it with a blank layer which lets me add another coloured stroke to it and you could essentially repeat this 100 times to get 100 different colour strokes but that is probably never going to happen lol. But very useful for rainbow style text.