What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop not opening NEF files

SteveH

Just had to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7 64 bit. Reinstalled Photoshop CS5 and now it wont open my Nikon RAW (.NEF) files. Bridge isn't showing the thumbnail images either. The RAW plug-in is version 6.6.0.261. How can I fix this.

TIA

Steve

Steve

Retired Administrator
Is there an error message?
Does PS open other files OK?

It sounds like you have the most current version of ACR, is everything else up to date?
Go to Help|Updates and make sure.

If that doesn't help try resetting your preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Cookies35

I'm having the same problem! Had to re-install CS4 on account of a Windows re-installation, and now Photoshop won't open my NEF files. The error message I get is:
"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

I've reset my Photoshop preferences and I still can't open them.

Is there anything else you can think of that might work? Thanks in advance.

peta62

Guru
It depends from what camera ( how new ) the raw file is. You can download newer CR from adobe web, I am sure there is 6.7 at least and check supported cameras list there. Do NOT go with 7.x since it is for PS6.

Ooops, did not notice it is another person and another Photoshop version. I do not know which version works with CS4 but it should be on Adobe web too.

Last edited:

Cookies35

Dear Peta62,

Thanks so much! It never dawned on me that this could be the problem since I thought I had updated CS4 first thing after I re-installed it. Evidently I hadn't. :redface:

Anyway, that was precisely the fix. The version of Camera Raw I needed was 5.7, but Photoshop found it on its own via the Help menu.

Have a great week!