What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5: Opened images seem desaturated and have banding ONLY in photoshop.

Riven Agares

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this has been addressed, I find bits and pieces of information I could use but nothing that really attacks the problem I am having. That being said... until today I have NEVER touched the color management settings in any photoshop I have used. The most I have done is have camera raw change color space from sRBG to Adobe 1998.

Recently on my desktop computer (main editing station), I've noticed that when I preview an image in Bridge, it looks one way and when I open it in camera raw, it seems fine, but the moment it crosses over to the actual workspace, it seems desaturated, there is intense banding in the shadows and a strange overall green cast.

I don't know if I changed an important setting and if I did I surely want to put it back. Furthermore, its impossible for me to edit because I simply don't trust the colors I see. Has anyone come in contact with this issue?

info:

PC, CS5 Master, 64-bit system, but I run 32.
Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 monitor
I only shoot in RAW, I use a canon camera. (not sure what else would be relevant)

Any/all help would be appreciated.

- Robert B.

Riven Agares

Make sure Bridge isn't converting your Adobe 1998 to sRGB.
Check your settings on the bottom of the ACR screen.

Steve... we've just met so this strange feeling of love and elation is scaring me. I SWEAR to you, I don't know how it go to sRGB. Thank you very much that simple changed seems to be making a huge difference. I will open a few images and report back.

in the meantime, are there any other settings anywhere I should be checking? if so, where and what should they be?

(again, thank you)

CLG

Please could you help me as well!
I recently started shooting my images on raw, however when I view the images on my camera (as well as on preview) the colour looks perfect. However as soon as I open the raw images in CS5 edit them, and then save the image (again in either raw or jpg) then the image is horribly desaturated and if I open the image in photoshop or preview there after it still looks horrible and desaturated. Please pleas help :)

Steve

Retired Administrator
Make sure the color profile you've set in the ACR is the same as you've set in the camera.
If your camera is set to Adobe 1998 (it should be) ACR should be too.