What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble moving a selection in CS6

JohnBoy

Hi,

I just got a new PC with Photoshop CS6, however is not working in the same way as I am used to.

When I select a region within a layer and try to move it the whole layer is being moved and not just the highlighted region, i.e. I have multiple layers and I want to move an object in one layer closer to another object in a different layer. I used to be able to do this with no problems in the old version I had.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
So are you trying to move stuff using the Rectangle Marquee tool and then the Move tool. This is the only way you will move an object or part of a layer 'within' a layer without actually moving the entire layer.

See diagram:

tool.jpg

JohnBoy

Hi There,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes that's exactly how I am trying to move an object, part of a layer. This has always worked in the past but is not with this new version. Should it still be working? Have I got something set up wrongly?

Cheers

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Nothing has changed as far as I know throughout any version of Ps. It's how I have always done it. Have you tried resetting preferences/tools etc?

JohnBoy

I haven't changed anything, it is just a brand new version of PS6. Is that what you use, can you chsck if it still works?

Many thanks.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Hey John,

Using Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended myself. Just threw a short video together for you to make sure we are on the same wave length lol. Using the Marquee Tool and Move Tool to move objects or parts of an image around 'Within' a layer and not the entire layer all at once.

Hope this helps buddy:

JohnBoy

Cheers mate, really great of you to go to the trouble. That is exactly how I would expect it to work and the steps I am using just for some reason it is just not picking up the selected region but the whole layer. So it must be something dto do with this particular image.

I just checked this by making a completely new image and creating new layers and low and behold it works fine!

It must be that the layers I have made in my original image were made by directly importing images in - the layers now seeme to be locked so I can just morve part of them.

I will make sure in the future I copy things into new layers from seperate images!

Thanks so much for your help.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
That's a bugger mate, there aren't any padlocks next to your layers are there?
and you're welcome, wished we could have got it to work how you wanted :thumbsup: