What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Memory Error

websquad

I have a machine with 8 GB RAM, about 40GB of free space on my system/program drive (a SSD unit), and have Photoshop CS 6 set up to page on drive C (although I have 4 rotating drives available with lots of free space).

I tried to load a small Photoshop file and got an error message that I was low on memory -- it would not let me process that file. So I rebooted. That didn't help. Next I went to Preferences menu and changed the memory from 50% to 75%. BIG MISTAKE: now I can't even load Photoshop.

Short of reinstalling, is there any way I can recover from this?

MikeMc

McGuru
You need PS on a different disk than the one used as your "scratch disk"...if they are on the same drive...not enough memory available

websquad

You need PS on a different disk than the one used as your "scratch disk"...if they are on the same drive...not enough memory available
I will do that --- IF I can start PhotoShop again. My problem now is that when I attempt to launch Photoshop, I get the "low memory" error. Do I need to reinstall, or is there a way I can start Photoshop and NOT get that memory error.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

websquad

Try resetting the preferences file. It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS. Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"
Outstanding! That solved the inability to load Photoshop because of apparent low memory. The "Used by Photoshop" value is back to the default value, 50%.

Now, back to the problem that started this: After setting the defaults, when I try to open a file, I get the message "Could not open {file name] because there is not enough memory. I then moved the swap/page file to drive "G", a 10,000 rpm Raptor drive, and closed and reloaded Photoshop -- but got the same message (G: has only 34.7GB free). So next I moved the swap/page file go E:, a 7,200 rpm 1 TB drive with 732 GB free memory. Closed and reloaded Photoshop, but am still getting the same message. For what it is worth, my main system/program drive, C: (programs/data only) has only 36.5 GB free.

PS: For what it is worth, I can open jpg and gif files; just not psd files. Yikes !!

What should I do next?

Last edited:

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Do you have many brushes installed and also how much ram does your machine have as it may be referring to this memory and not hard drive space. Recently upped mine to 8gb and it made a hell of a lot of difference.

MikeMc

McGuru
Where is your scratch disk ? I suspect this is jammed full.

websquad

Where is your scratch disk ? I suspect this is jammed full.
See my 12-04-2012, 12:12 AM post (above); last attempt was with the scratch drive on a 1TB volume with 700+ GB free space. Of course, I closed and restarted Photoshop after re-designating the scratch drive. Alas, no joy: problem remains.

MikeMc

McGuru
How large is your scratch set for ?

Send Adobe a query....they may see magic.

websquad

How large is your scratch set for ? Send Adobe a query....they may see magic.
Don't know how to check scratch file other than to look at the size on the hard disk. It is about 30GB for the following file: ~PST1840.tmp.

The two attached files are screen snips of
  • Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks
  • Memory & Image Cache
I'm beginning to think that the next step is to simply re-install Photoshop. Does this make sense?

Attachments

• Capture01.JPG
    Capture01.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture02.JPG
    Capture02.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 12

smoke

Power User
Did you installed correct chipset drivers of you MoBo manufacturer on your fresh win x64?