What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help! Gaussian Blur without Helo Effect how?

HarryDigDesign

Hello Community!

This is my Problem, so if somebody of You Profis can help:
Halo Effekt.png
I try to make a Background like this: color: gradient deep dark blue to little bit brighter blue and, at that one 'dizzy' soft Light that disappeared to the middle of picture. Layer 1 gradient blue is OK. Layer 2 - few clicks with big soft brush with white color, then Gaussian Blur with 70 pix Radius on this Layer....I am dissatisfied!
I don't need this 'Halo Effect' - those 'step rings' above 'Light source'. I'd need it soft/smooth without those Rings. Good Example for needed Effect is start Picture from Win7:
windows7.jpg
There are few Ligtsources without Halo Effect...
I try it with different Resolution (90 to 300 ppi), different Color Mode/Depth (8 to 32bit), different Color Profiles ... nothing helps! :banghead: ...I have found little improvement with 32bit & CYMK, burt unsatisfactory...
It's the same effect with dark background and bright light or the other way around.

Does anyone have an Idea? Thyx in advance!

HDD

iDad

Guru
the top image, if you add Smart blur maybe as high as 20.0 may eliminate the Halo....

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't know if this will help at all, but I always use the brush opacity and flow adjustments on the menu bar to control banding when making an effect like you show above. About 70% and 70%. I make the outer glow with one brush click, reduce the size of the brush and then brighten the center another brush click. Then I can apply a Gaussian blur and completely eliminate banding.

Also I usually add the highlights and make these adjustments on their own layer but it really doesn't matter, it works if you add the highlights to the dark BG layer as well.

chrisix

Guru
well, i think the halo's would be caused by not having enough colors...
its a 50kb png picture, i dont know howmany colors that would be for that size, but im guessing 8bit.
when you make a new composition (ctrl+n)
you can chose file color mode, select RGB and select 32bit color mode
it has more colors than the 8bit color you're probably using now, so it can make more transitions shades from the white to the dark blue