What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS6 showing different colors compare to CS5 ??

Max20d

Hi, Happy New Year 2013.

I started this year with some problems. FYI, I'm interested in Infrared photography in which I frequently used Photoshop to post-process my RAW infrared files. For IR post-processing, one of the most used and "important" adjustment is channel mixer. The workflow to produce the pix are as follows:

1. Raw files(CR2) were converted to TIFF using Canon's Digital Photo Professional coz ACR seems to falsely showing the white balance in the captured files.

2. the TIFF then was opened in both CS5 and CS6 on the same MacBook Pro(Retina Display) running on Mountain Lion. The sequence of adjustments used for the pix are same both on CS5 and CS6 which are:
a. Auto-level.
b. Channel mixer ( I swapped both the red and blue channels).

The result on both CS5 & CS6 are differ with CS6 showing dull/flat colours. Am I missing any important steps somewhere e.g color settings etc in CS6 to produce the same colour and quality pix of the CS5?

Please help. TQ.

Tom Mann

Guru
In a case like this, the first thing I would look for is some difference between CS5 and CS6 in "Color Settings / Color Management Policies" that determines how color space mismatches are handled. Obviously, the default working space and other items in the "Color Settings" menu must also agree.

If that isn't the problem, let us know.

Tom M

Attachments

• 2013-01-09_070225-color_management_policies_menu.jpg
    2013-01-09_070225-color_management_policies_menu.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 28

Max20d

Compareb.jpg

The above screenshot is taken for both CS5 & CS6 "color settings" if that what you meant Mr. Tom Mann.

Max20d

This screenshot was taken to show the difference of CS5 & CS6 as I mentioned in my 1st post.

Compareca.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Max - Thanks for posting those screen shots. That's exactly what I meant. Posting them saved me from asking a lot of questions that wouldn't have led anywhere useful. ;-)

When something like this happens to me, I revert back to a plodding, step-by-step approach to troubleshooting. I would still bet that the problem is related either to a color space problem or a monitor profile problem.

Let's investigate possible color space problems first. One thing caught my eye is that you have all the warnings about mismatched profiles and missing profiles turned off. I would suggest you turn all of them on in both CS5 and 6 and see if they throw up any flags in either program when you import the file(s) that have been giving you problems.

If these warnings don't point you to anything of interest , I would use an image from a completely different source with a clearly defined, simple color profile, eg, sRGB (...trivial to find on this board or on photo.net), feed it into both CS5 and 6 and check if the same sorts of differences you saw between 5 and 6 on your IR images are still present. If there is no difference between v5 and v6 with an sRGB image, next try the same comparison using an image in either Adobe RGB and/or ProPhoto. If there is no difference between 5 and 6 in any of these cases, it's probably not a color space problem.

Assuming all of the above tests show no problem, let's move on to monitor profile problems. First, open the same "Color Settings" menu, but this time, click on the pull-down arrow to the right of either RGB or CMYK (depending on which of these has given you problems). Scroll up to the top of the long list that just dropped down. Right under "Other" (in CS6), you will see the name of the monitor profile in use. Do the same in CS5. If the two versions of PS are using different monitor profiles that could easily explain the differences that you are seeing.

If you want to do a bit more reading on profile problems, take a look at: http://www.gballard.net/psd/colorlooksbad.html . This is a very detailed document, but if you are serious about color management, it is just the basics. It is absolutely essential that you understand and follow the contents and recommendations of that article.

If neither color space or monitor profiles seem to be the cause of the problem, let me mention one other possibility: Many folks have their PS installations set up to open images in ACR for manipulation before they are handed over to PS. If, by some chance you do this and are using different default presets in the two versions of ACR, this could also (very easily) cause the problems that you see.

Let me know what you find.

Good luck,

Tom M

Max20d

Sorry for the long absent. Trying your suggestion, I found this one very interesting:

Assuming all of the above tests show no problem, let's move on to monitor profile problems. First, open the same "Color Settings" menu, but this time, click on the pull-down arrow to the right of either RGB or CMYK (depending on which of these has given you problems). Scroll up to the top of the long list that just dropped down. Right under "Other" (in CS6), you will see the name of the monitor profile in use. Do the same in CS5. If the two versions of PS are using different monitor profiles that could easily explain the differences that you are seeing.

1. I ran the color/monitor profile software(eye-one display 2)and use it as my display profile.
2. Test on both CS5 & CS6 now showed same color on the post processed images.

With that, I think my problem are solved.....Thanks to you guys esp Mr. Tom Mann.

Case closed.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for dropping back in and posting that comment. Glad to have helped in any small way.

Cheers,

Tom M