What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 not saving Workspace???

starverse

Banned
Hello there one and all. I recently did a upgrade to my PC and had to re-boot my system. I have Photoshop CS5 working fine and all, but one thing it is doing that it never did in the past is ...
I set everything where I want them to be (History, Action Palette, etc, brushes, etc)
it used to always be there when I opened PS up the next time. Now, since my PC Reboot, it seems to go back to default ... is there a way to stop this - pretty annoying having to reload everything back every time ??

Thank you in advance for you help!!
:banghead:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Reboot? Do you mean just shutting down or taking it to the cleaner? Of course, on shutting down, it shouldn't change. On taking your PC back to factory specs for example, I'm not sure. Still don't think it should affect it any, but I'm kind of a techno-dolt.

starverse

Banned
lol, I could of used better wording :)
I reinstalled Windows 7 and all the software/programs on my PC

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If you did a total clean install, you are basically loading PS fresh and new.... thus , preference won't be there.

What I can suggest is after you do your manual resetting of the preference, look for the preference file in the adobe CS programme folder and create a back up of it. So whenever you have to reinstall anything, copy the backup over the existing preference file.

Actually I forgot where the exact location is.... gotta look for it... or unless someone around here knows exactly where it is.....

Last edited:

starverse

Banned
... I have opened up photoshop since the re-install. Set my workspace up to how I wanted it to be, loaded all my brushes, actions, etc. When I close it off, and say open it up the next day - it's all back the the original state!

starverse

Banned
basically when I close it, and open it ... any time later, all that I changed is lost :(

Last edited:

starverse

Banned
sent them a message a few days ago - they replied yesterday suggesting to try making a new workspace with a new name ... I have been sick so have not tried it out yet though.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Sounds to me like you need to save your workspace. Try this starverse, launch Ps and arrange the panels how you want them. At the top right of the screen, you should see a workspace being listed. I think the default workspace simply says DEFAULT. Click on that, or whatever or workspace name is displayed and then click on "New Workspace". There a dialog box should open up where you can name your workspace and save it. Close and then re-launch Photoshop. Now if your desired workspace doesn't load on launch, all you will need to do this time is click on that Workspace area and click on the workspace you made before with your panels intact. Hope that helps.