What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with understanding a tutorial

Pieter Goris

Hi guys,

I'm having problems with understanding one step out of a tutorial. Almost at the end the person says the next:
http://www.photoshop-plus.co.uk/2011/09/14/learn-how-to-create-a-gui-volume-dialknob/

'Select the vector mask on the ellipse layer then add another ellipse inside of the original ellipse with the settings “Subtract From Shape Area”.'

What I did was creating an eliptical shape, and another smaller on top with the subtract from shape option on.
Now problem is that when I continue the tutorial I can't get delete a part of my shape. Since it is not rasterized. When I do rasterize it, I get a very pixelated ugly effect. Can anyone explain me what I should do exactly because I don't understand that 1 sentence. My .PSD and .ugly looking result are both in attachment.

Thanks a lot for whoever can help me out!!

Attachments

• Volumeknob.jpg
    Volumeknob.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Volumeknob2.psd
    5 MB · Views: 3
Well the issue is the resolution of the canvas. Did you choose 800x600 for a reason? If not and you want to just have a high quality image I would suggest a much higher res eg 4000x3000, but then it depends how good you machine is too.

Hey RTContent thanks for the reply. But I don't see how my lack of understanding of the tutorial (something technical) has anything to do with the dimensions of my canvas? It's 800x600 because that is the only resolution it has to be displayed on. But when I understand the tutorial completely I can do it with vectors instead of rasterizing it and then the pixelsize of my canvas doesn't matter. I just don't understand the steps where he creates the indicator that is messed up with me because of rasterizing it.

Okay that's fine if you don't want to rasterize. But I think you may be confused when you say you're trying to delete the inside part of the shape. This is an unnecessary step since it's already hidden. As long as you have subtract from front shape selected, you shouldn't have any issues.

Volumeknob2.jpg

OK this is what I want, but how can I create the blocks in it like I have done with mine without having to rasterize something?

Delete the top layer you have, it shouldn't be on a separate layer. Then draw that shape over the red circle again making sure that subtract is still selected.

Oke I didn't know that I could subtract 2 shapes. Thought it was limited to 2. So this is what I came up with.
Any idea how I can split the blocks to several layers to give them different colors and glow to them. I don't want to work with an angled gradient like I did now.

Muchos thankos sir.

Attachments

• Volumeknob2.jpg
    Volumeknob2.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 0
The way I would do it is not seperate it into different layers. Instead I would create a new layer on top (you can call this color mask or something similar). On this new layer you can paint using the brush any color you desire over the top. To make sure it doesn't bleed over the edges of the rectangles, hover your mouse in between the two layers holding alt and clicking (this will mask the above layer to the one below).

Volumeknob21.jpg
Volumeknob23.jpg

Back