What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't create or open files

edgpavl

Hey. Okay, so Photoshop is not working properly past few days. It won't allow to create or open files. After I press "create new" just nothing happens. Program runs okay, I get no error messages also. "Open file" option works until the moment, when I have to select a file to open, I do that, and also nothing happens.
This started when one night I left PC on sleep mode, with already some work in progress in Photoshop, when I "woke" PC up, I was unable to even save the file progress. This happened to both CS3 and CS5, I've been looking trough google for few days now, but nothing seems to work. Tried to clear preferences, uncheck OpenGL, and I have no Printer, that could possibly cause problems. I uninstalled both Photoshop versions, and just now installed CS6, but still the same thing happens.

My PC specs.
E8200 2.66 Ghz
4 Gb
Windows 7 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
VGA driver info - Date: 2011.04.19, Version: 8.850.0.0
Tried to update driver, but that seems to be the newest version.

This seems like somewhat common problem, but I could'nt really find a solution that would work for me. I use Photoshop for work, so this is really critial.

Thanks !

edgpavl

Weird things just happen now. I tried to press down "Esc" for few seconds, and then apply the action and it worked. I was able to create new file, but when I messse around with brushes and shapes, process was very buggy, some actions undo'd, some didn't react at all. After that I was not able to create or open files again, until I pressed down "Esc" for a while again, now succesfully opened a file, and for few minutes I haven't spotted any problems. Still this is weird and upseting, I'd really love to get to bottom of this and figure out the problem.

Trevor Dennis

You say you 'tried to clear preferences'. Does that mean that you succeeded? You used the Shift Alt Ctrl (Shift Opt Cmd) while launching Photoshop?

edgpavl

Yes, that didn't help at all. Now pressing down "esc" actually makes everything work good for few minutes or so, ofcourse that is no way to work. I have no idea what is the actual action behind holding Escape button.

MikeMc

McGuru
I can see the problem in CS6 having 4GB RAM, I can't see that in earlier versions CS5&6 do need 8GB to really work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgpavl

Until yesterday I still used CS3 everyday, problem appeared on CS3 from out of the blue, like, everything worked like charm until then.