What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 crashes Macbook Pro upon opening image

Hi Everyone

I am working on a Mac Version 10.6.8, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and have been using Adobe Suite for over three years including Photoshop. Available capacity on disk is 117 GB at the moment.

I have never had any issues up till now.

Present situation:

I open Photoshop CS5, then one image (normal size 10 MB), start editing the photo (Levels, Curves etc.) using among other things Spot Healing Brush Tool and Clone Stamp Tool, then instantly the whole laptop crashes and there's a total blackout after which I naturally have to restart the laptop.

I have a lot of pictures to edit, but due to the above problem, I am unable to do so.

Based on previous threads I've read concerning similar problems, there shouldn't be a problem with the graphic card and I have already reset the preferences. Plus I have never fiddled with downloading extra Fonts.

I would be more than grateful, if you could help me out with this issue as Photoshop is essential to my work.

Thank you in advance

iDad

Guru
You say you have 117GB remaining but what about your RAM memory how much of that?

iDad

Guru
How much of that is available? Are you using Photoshop only

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
Not saying Ram is the problem but it tends to be

iDad

Guru
Don't you get a window of warning about what's up? Any notice at all

iDad

Guru
I'm not sure if Adobe is doing updates for CS5 anymore but it might be worth a check,check in your photoshop window for updates to the program

Yes, I've done that, but "unfortunately" everything was already updated. I have spent a lot of time googling the problem, but no solution is sight yet. This is the reason why I turned to this forum, because I saw that many people had found solutions to their problems. I really want to solve this issue and I appreciate your input and your time.

hawkeye

Guru
If was a PC just shutting down for no apparent reason, I would suspect a heat issue.

Yes, but it's a Mac used on a flat surface with sufficient ventilation, no physical sign of overheating (heat or even noise for that matter) and it only shuts down when I attempt to use Photoshop.

iDad

Guru
I need to ask is it a legitimate copy of CS5 do you have the license key?

iDad

Guru
Try redoing the key? Although I'm sure if it was wrong it would say so

I installed the whole Adobe Suite that I bought together with the brand new laptop 3 years ago and there has never been a problem up till now. It could be that at the end I might have to re-instal the whole program, although I don't understand what could have gone wrong so suddenly and without any warning message from Photoshop letting me know that I should change this or that or giving me any error messages for that matter. The case is rather disheartening.

iDad

Guru
Three years ago and no problems? you're one lucky dude all I can say is SH.png:mrgreen:
good luck

Last edited: