What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow CS6

BriniaSona

Photoshop is being slow, I have 4 scratch disks, 16 gigs of gaming ram, a SSD, 3 gb of 770m video card, i7 overclocked to 3.0ghz,

Everything is so painfully slow.

BriniaSona

It's like playing an online game with bad lag. I do something and it takes a second or two to register it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is it slow with all tools/functions or just certain ones?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What's your cache level and history state setting in Ps?

BriniaSona

20 and cache 2

It's only like that when i do any editing on picture above 5 megapixels. I am currently working on an old antique looking map and I have made it huge to show detail and stuff.

File size when saved is 366mb

Tom Mann

Guru
Is this a new problem?

Until now, have you mostly been working with smaller files?

Is PS the only computation and memory intensive program running slow? What about games? Do you do any video editing? Is so, how's that program running?

The first test I usually recommend is to simply open Task Manager (or equivalent if on a Mac) and see what program / process is chewing up your clock cycles.

In case the user might have missed something when looking at the Task Manager, my next recommendation is usually to turn off your internet connection, turn off all virus detection programs, indexing and other auto-start programs that you don't really need to run CS6 and test PS again.

Another thing to try is to post one of your larger files, time a few operations on it, and post the times and details. One of us will open it and run it on our machine and tell you how long these operations take on our machine.

Tom

PS - FWIW, I have a machine similar high end machine (except 64 G of RAM, several SSDs (1 for the OS and apps, 1 for various temp files, 1 for fast (user) working storage, etc.)), and it wouldn't even blink at most operations on a 500 MB file.

nachofrades

Try this:

Edit>Preferences>Performance:

performance.jpg

The management of memory is slighty different for the use you make of PS if you work with a lot of MPixel in a single image try "Big and Flat".

I usually work with files of 11811x11811 pixel (139 MegaPixel) with a lot of layers and my system works fine, and it's not a rocket, one processor, 24 GB RAM, and HD's

Close any other application, but music player...

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
First determine if it happens in ALL processes. That will be malware or a virus.

inkpad.t

Guru
It has a tendency to run slow the more you add in to it.. the brushes you load, the more styles, add on's, filters, gradients, etc etc... I tend to keep brush sets, gradient sets and style sets on an external drive and just load them as i need them, keeps at least some of Photoshop less cluttered.