What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you open a VBScript in Photoshop CC 2014?

Jeremy McCloud

Thought I'd try scripting in photoshop, see what it could do, but it looks like I can't even get started.

I'm running on Windows 7, with Photoshop CS2 and CC 2014. I need CS2 on my system as I'm training someone that has the same version. This is probably part of the problem.

I'm going with VBScript just because it's what I already know programming VBA in MS Excel and VB6 back in the old days.

I try creating the sample script from the manual and the instructions say to simply double click the vbs file in explorer, but it opens CS2 instead. So I try to change the "open with" default to CC and it says it's the wrong document type. I try going to File>Script>Browse but it doesn't even list VBScript files as an option.

So how in the world can I open and run VBScript in Photoshop CC?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
I try going to File>Script>Browse but it doesn't even list VBScript files as an option.

Go down the File > Script > Browse... route but when prompted for a file:
1. type *.* for the File name:
2. Hit 'Return'.

You should then get every file listed in the selected folder, not just the ones PS likes.
From here select your file and run it.

This works for me with PS CC 2014 on Win7 x64.
I didn't have a working vbs to hand so I used an empty file which gave a proper error message, meaning it did execute the script.

As a side note, all the PS versions are named 'Photoshop.exe' so getting a file to open the right one is a headache.
I found that changing which version to use in the file properties...ie, open with, only works when PS is completely closed.
If any version of PS is open at the time of running a script it will be that version which is used regardless of any shortcut pointing to another.

The OS simply sees that 'Photoshop.exe' is running and so uses it. It cares not about from where.
Just one of those issues of having every version of PS have the same executable filename.

Regards.
MrTom.

Jeremy McCloud

Go down the File > Script > Browse... route but when prompted for a file:
1. type *.* for the File name:
2. Hit 'Return'.

I tried this, I can see the vbs file, but it does not execute the script.

As a side note, all the PS versions are named 'Photoshop.exe' so getting a file to open the right one is a headache.
I found that changing which version to use in the file properties...ie, open with, only works when PS is completely closed.
If any version of PS is open at the time of running a script it will be that version which is used regardless of any shortcut pointing to another.

I tried this but it still opens and tries to run the script in Photoshop CS2. I took a look at the properties where it says "Opens with", surprisingly it doesn't even show photoshop. It shows "Microsoft Windows Based Script Host", yet when I double click the file it tries to open it in Photoshop CS2. If I change the open with and navigate to where Photoshop CC is installed, it will open Photoshop CC, but then it just says that it's not a valid photoshop document and fails to execute.

I'm trying to find an option to repair the installation in hopes of resetting everything, but it doesn't appear to have this option like other programs do, as the only way I see to install it is from the creative cloud app. I'm trying this Adobe Cleaner thing I found to see if this might have an option to restore settings or something.

Jeremy McCloud

Weird, not sure what happened to my other post, but trying to open the script within photoshop did not work, nor did double clicking the file while photoshop cc was open and associating the vbs file to photoshop didn't work either. I ran this adobe cleaner tool I found, I should have read the directions more carefully, I thought it repaired installation files or something, but instead uninstalled my entire creative cloud apps. Not at all what I wanted, so I had to login, download creative cloud app and reinstall everything from scratch. Took a lot of time, but in the end it fixed my problem and the VBScript now runs in photoshop cc instead of cs2.