What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing brushes floating panel that has gone too big out of the screen

Paul Snakes

Hi,

This is my first inquiry at this forum... so I take the opportunity to greet you all : )

I am having a quite absurd problem with my PS CS5: I have resized the floating brushes panel by mistake (the one that appears when you're using the brush / eraser tool and you right click on the workspace to change the brush or adjust size / hardness). I have dragged the bottom right corner of it too much, and now it stays out of the screen... and I couldn't find a way to pick it again! It happened when I was using two monitors + intuos tablet screen; I have tried disconnecting the intuos and the extra monitor and leaving my laptop alone, then setting the biggest screen resolution possible, but still I wasn't able to draw that corner back on the screen. I have checked the PS preferences, and it doesn't seem to be an option to set back this panel to its original size, and resetting the workspace to deffault didn't work either... do you have any ideas? it's quite a frustrating issue...

Thanks
Paul

MrToM

Guru
...resetting the workspace to deffault didn't work either... do you have any ideas?

Hmmm...

Your situation is precisely the reason why 'Reset < workspace name >' is there so I'm surprised it didn't work for you.
I know this will sound like teaching granny to suck eggs, (whatever that means), but are you 100% sure you RESET the workspace and didn't just switch to using that workspace?

I only ask that because you said '...resetting the workspace TO deffault... '....
You can reset a workspace, and you can switch to another workspace but resetting TO another workspace?....that's not really possible.

Other than resetting the whole UI I don't really know what else to suggest.

To reset PS preferences:
Close PS.
Hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (or mac eq) and start PS...wait for a 'reset' dialog to appear....go from there.

It may be advisable to save your preferences first in case resetting doesn't solve the problem.

Other than that, I dunno.....for me, resetting the workspace has always worked when I needed it to.

Regards.
MrTom.

MikeMc

McGuru
Easy way to shrink it is to shrink your WHOLE VIEW...so you can find the corner...use Control - Then when you find it hit Control 0..back to screen size defaulted

MrToM

Guru
@ MikeMc,

Sounds interesting.....but when you say 'Whole View' do you mean the PS UI?

I only ask as on a windows based system the 'panels' will float outside the UI so reducing the size of it wouldn't really do much....the panel will just stay where it is at the size it is.

And 'Control 0'...?? In CC 2014 that's 'Fit On Screen...'...which I'm sure used to be 'Fit TO screen' but whatever...who knows with Adobe? :banghead:

Sorry if that's not what you meant.
I have no idea if its any different with Mac based systems....never used one.

Regards.
MrTom.

Paul Snakes

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your help. MrTom, your suggestion (deleting settings file when restarting PS) worked!! now I have the floating brushes panel at is normal size : )
And it didn't deleted my custom workspaces, so I didn't loss anything important ; )

When I wrote "resetting workspace to default" I meant selecting Essentials workspace and then making a reset of it in at the contextual menu "Reset Essentials". I explained it badly, also because English is not my mother tongue, as you may have guessed ; )

MikeMc; I tried what you suggest just for curiosity, but Zooming out with Ctrl / Cmd - does not affect panels size.... and the problem I had was shrinking the brushes floating panel, not the document...

But thank you very much for your help

Paul

MrToM

Guru
...MrTom, your suggestion (deleting settings file when restarting PS) worked!!
Excellent!

When I wrote "resetting workspace to default" I meant selecting Essentials workspace and then making a reset of it in at the contextual menu "Reset Essentials". I explained it badly, also because English is not my mother tongue, as you may have guessed ; )

I didn't guess...no.
Sorry I had to ask to but it may have been integral to the solution.

Whatever, good to hear you're back up and running again.

Regards.
MrTom.