What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greyed out adjustment layers problem

eri_berry

I've been having a weird issue with adjustment layers. I found mentions online of people with this problem but no real solutions. Some info:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64
Operating System: Windows NT
Version: 6.2

I *was* going to take screenshots, but it's not currently working, so I'll do my best to describe the problem. These are all adjustment layer issues - if I go to Image > Adjustments there are no problems, but of course, I want to use layers.

Curves: preset and RGB dropdown boxes are greyed out. I can edit the main RGB curves, but cannot go into red, green or blue, or use presets. Clicking on curves display options and clicking okay seems to fix it, but I shouldn't have to do that... I never had to before.

Selective Color: preset and colors are greyed out. I can edit the neutrals but nothing else. There is no temporary solution, as far as I know, like with curves.

Photo Filter: "Filter" and "Color" are greyed out but the dropdown box and color picker are not... when I click the color or choose from filters, they are no longer greyed out. So this works, but it still seems like a bug or something.

Color Balance: one of the most annoying things because I really want to use it. I can edit the midtones but the box is greyed out so no editing of shadows or highlights. No temporary solution either.

I use curves, selective color and color balance a lot so this is really frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

MrToM

Guru
Adobe Flash Player has recently been updated.....is your version the latest?

Use THIS to check your version...latest is 15.0.0.152
Download either the .exe or .msi version if needed from HERE.

Make sure you install BOTH IE and 'Other browser' versions......even if you don't use IE.

I recommend installing manually as other methods seem to be a bit hit or miss and I personally have never had an install issue since using this method.

See if that helps first.....selective 'greying out' of random UI elements is often a sign of a 'Flash Player' issue.

Regards.
MrTom.

eri_berry

and what is your image mode ?? cmyk, rgb, indexed etc
RGB.

I recommend installing manually as other methods seem to be a bit hit or miss and I personally have never had an install issue since using this method.

See if that helps first.....selective 'greying out' of random UI elements is often a sign of a 'Flash Player' issue.

My flash version is 15.0.0.152. Should I try re-installing it or something?

MrToM

Guru
...Should I try re-installing it or something?
No, I was just checking it was up to date so as to rule it out as a possible cause.

Have you tried resetting the preferences file?

I'd make a back-up first in case it doesn't do anything for you.
[With PS CLOSED]
File: Prefs.psp
Location: C:/Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings
(NOTE: AppData is a hidden folder)

Copy the Prefs.psp file and add .BAK to the end of the extension....so, Prefs.psp.BAK
Start PS and IMMEDIATELY hold Ctrl + Shift + Alt
You'll get a small dialog window asking if you want to delete the current prefs file.....you do.

See if that makes any difference....if not, close PS, delete the Prefs.psp file and rename your back-up back to Prefs.psp
(You could also copy your back-up prefs file and change just one of them back to Prefs.psp....that way you'll always have a back-up of the current state.)

If not, we'll have to think again.

Regards.
MrTom.

eri_berry

Ugh! So, Ctrl + Shift + Alt didn't bring anything up for me, but it seemed like PS just made a new file on its own... so I tried it out, and at first, everything was working. But after about 10-15 minutes of doing stuff, I made a new curves layer and it was greyed out again. Should I just try it again, or do you think that wasn't the issue?

hawkeye

Guru
I don't believe that Photoshop CS6 is compatible with Windows NT.

[h=2]Photoshop CS6 system requirements[/h]

[h=3]Windows[/h]

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 orMicrosoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 and CS6 applications also support Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*

hawkeye

Guru
It appears that Photoshop 7 was the last version that could be run properly on Windows NT.

[h=3]Photoshop 7 system requirements[/h]

[h=3]Windows[/h]

• Pentium III or 4 processor
  • Microsoft Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT with Service Pack 6a, Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, or Windows XP
  • 128 MB of RAM (192 MB of RAM recommended)
  • 280 MB of available hard-disk space
  • Color monitor with 16-bit color or greater graphics adapter
  • 800 x 600 or greater monitor resolution
  • CD-ROM drive

eri_berry

I'm running Windows 8, so compatibility definitely isn't the problem I'm having, unfortunately. I wish I had a clue what the problem was.

MrToM

Guru
Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64
Operating System: Windows NT
Version: 6.2
Where exactly are you getting this info from?

These-days its unusual to refer to PS by its version number and especially unusual to also quote the revision number.
This leads me to believe you are getting this info from a third party application of some description...maybe?

Following that logic I would therefore assume that by "Windows NT ver 6.2" you mean Windows 8, as "Windows NT" as an OS in its own right never actually got above version 4.0. (Windows 2000 was next in line...AKA Windows NT 5.0)

Nowadays its more common, and less confusing, to use the release names rather than the working titles....so I'm guessing you are using:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 x64
Windows 8 (Or Windows Server 2012...both are Windows NT 6.2)

This is what I have based my answers on so far but is that correct?

Just to make absolutely sure we are all on the same page here.....before we go any further with this.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited: