What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie here with a Photoshop CS6 issue!

Sega Jenesis

Hello! New here and just looking for some help with issues I've been consistently having in Photoshop CS6 13.0.6x64 for Mac OS X version 10.8.5.

I'm opening RAW .NEF images, cutting with the pen tool, and saving after doing some cleanup with the clone stamp/patch/healing tools etc. Then I hit command J twice to duplicate my layer to total 3 layers. I select the top layer, go to Filter > Other > High Pass, set it at 20 radius, then set the Transparency to Overlay. I then select the middle layer, go to Filter > Blur > Surface Blur with a radius of 15 & 27, then set the Opacity to 50%. (Sometimes I do the Surface Blur first and the High Pass second, but it produces the same result).

At this point, strange loss of data occurs and the file (and any others open) is corrupted in such that pixels of information are missing and cannot again be retrieved! This is becoming a huuuuge issue as I am often cutting and cleaning 300pc chrome tool sets, only to have all of the work ruined by this data corruption (hours of work lost!). My company just sent my computer to Apple to be cleaned and have the RAM investigated, and I got it back today. The same issue occurred!

Does anyone happen to know anything about this? All help welcome!

Thank you!

Examples:

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 3.47.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-24 at 5.01.27 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
To me it looks very much like a tiling issue.

Have you changed the tile settings at all? (In an attempt to fix, and as a possible cause).

It may need a GFX driver update, an Adobe Flash Player update (latest ver is 15.0.0.189), or it may be that your GFX hardware is just on its way out.

Have you reset PS? (As in prefs file.......start PS then IMMEDIATELY hold Command + Option + Shift then follow dialog box instructions)
Do any other applications suffer from GFX issues?
Has this just started recently?
Have you installed anything prior to this issue that may conflict with PS?
Have you installed any plugins that may conflict with PS.
What solutions have you already tried to fix this?
Etc...Etc...

Hopefully you get the idea that the more info you give us the more chance there is of quickly finding a solution for you.

My money is on tiling but then you may have already tried that...??

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Sega Jenesis

Thank you for your response!!

IT did change the tile settings, I'm not sure what from, but I did try to reset since then so the current settings are attached. Our IT also thought it could be a RAM issue, as when I run photoshop for long periods of time (which is daily) the computer uses over 7GB of the 8GB hard drive in Swap, so then I have to restart constantly to reset it. The computer just came back from being serviced by Apple, but still has the same amount of RAM and the same issues.

Prior to that, the 5 people in my department (including myself) all have issues with speed with our shared afp network and Adobe programs. We had earlier issues with Finder, of files in photoshop constantly not saving because "permission not granted" and would need to be saved several times for it to actually save. So our computers were completely wiped, then we were downgraded from Maverick to the previous OS (Mountain Lion/OS X) as they thought that could be the issue. Again, this was prior to sending my computer back to Apple this past week.

I am the only computer that has the issues in my previous post, but if anyone else opens the files I've worked on that have that issue, their photoshop is corrupted and they have to reboot. These are licensed programs also, not downloaded from the internet or copied.

No other programs seem to be affected (Illustrator, InDesign, AfterEffects, etc.) the only comment I could have is that when the computer starts to use over 7GB of the RAM then Illustrator (and any other program really) will freeze.

There have been no other downloads or plugins.

As for updates for the GFX driver, I'm not sure. I don't have Admin capabilities so I'm not authorized to update anything, but I will definitely relay this to IT and see if something there could be the issue. My Flash Player is Version 11.4.402.265 (11.4).

Timeline - This specific issue has been occuring off-and-on for minimum 2 months. It tends to occur when I work on a high volume of photos in a day, and only on files that I am duplicating layers and adding High Pass and Surface Blur.

The strange thing is that others in my department do the same thing, but do not have this issue. Below is the image of the current tile settings.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 7.45.05 AM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
We have a couple of members who are very good with this sort of thing, but they are in different parts of the world / time zones. Hopefully, they will see this thread soon and respond.

In the interim, FWIW, the only time I have ever experienced tiling problems like you describe was when I've been on computers with minimal memory. There is one at work with only 4 Gigs, on which it happens all the time. There is another with 8 Gigs, on which I've only seen it happen a few times (but I don't use it often, or for big images). I never experience this on my big production machine with 64 Gigs of main memory and another couple on the grafix card.

Taking that together with your statement that the problem only seems to occur after / during heavy use, and the fact that it looks like you only have 8 Gigs on your machine, my prime suspect would be inadequate RAM / GPU capabilities for your needs.

Tom M

PS - I presume you've tried working with all unnecessary software turned off to conserve memory?

Sega Jenesis

I have no problem awaiting any help at any time, and I appreciate your input.

It does seem the main memory could be the culprit here, and I do tend to work on the biggest amount of larger files so that could also be why I have the issue while the others do not. Yes I have worked with no other program or software running, but when there is high volume work (15 images of 30MB & larger throughout a day for instance) even having only Photoshop running runs into errors and speed issues. Good to know that we aren't completely off track in searching for a solution here!

Thank you again :)

Sega Jenesis

In your professional opinion, if we have to edit 10+ images a day that are a minimum of 30MB each (most tend to be over 60MB) while also editing multiple vector files in illustrator (usually over 30MB each) AND use Premier and After Effects in a time sensitive atmosphere, is this computer adequate or insufficient for this work flow?

Thank you!

P.S. And yes! You presume accurately. I will shut down every application other than Photoshop, and it will still run slowly. Taking over 15 minutes to save a single file at times.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Hmmm....this is interesting.

From your first reply do I understand that you are accessing Photoshop, (As in the complete application), over a network?

Not only is this legally questionable but probably a major contribution to your problems.

I think the cause of your problem is in the first line of your first reply....."IT did change the tile settings".

Before going any further can you clarify that you are NOT accessing the PS application over a network and that each machine has its own copy of Photoshop installed?

Regards.
MrTom.

Sega Jenesis

No, the program is entirely legal and purchased not running through a network. Our network is for our file-sharing within our department, each computer has a licensed application! The programs are definitely not through a network. :)

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
OP: "...if we have to edit 10+ images a day that are a minimum of 30MB each (most tend to be over 60MB) while also editing multiple vector files in illustrator (usually over 30MB each) AND use Premier and After Effects in a time sensitive atmosphere, is this computer adequate or insufficient for this work flow? ..."

There are a lot of variables, so it's hard to say. For example, a single, much larger file among the smaller ones could, depending on its size, easily cause problems. I do a lot of work on relatively high rez photos (eg, 4000 -5000 px on the longest side) at 16 bpc, with 10-30 layers each, and even processing them one at a time, I regularly notice PS is using over 6 or 7 Gigs, often, higher, especially if I am using plugins, leave other apps running, have other images open, etc.

Also, you mention video editing SW. That is known to be a memory hog, but once again, it all depends on the details. However, if someone held a gun to my head and asked for an opinion, I would say that for a professional environment, 8 Gig in your machines would be marginal these days.

With respect to "time sensitive atmosphere", I hope you have local SSD storage on your workstation, and only need to use the network twice per image: once to pull the file down to your machine, and once to upload your results.

T

Sega Jenesis

Understandable, there are many variables. Usually we need to run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously, jumping back and forth between the 2 often, with only Apple Mail and Firefox running so that we can receive requests for artwork (we do production printing and web: product packaging, photography, web ads, website skins, posters, store displays, showroom displays, etc.). We all continually have to try to run only one program at a time, sometimes one file at a time. Though recently I'm the lucky one that cannot work in Photoshop due to the errors my first post describes!

As for the SSD storage, no. Since multiple people need to access files at any given moment, every file is working through the network server (due to image links in illustrator to the network and 5 people needing to access every file, we cannot save or work locally). But that is something that has been brought to our attention before.

Thanks! - Jen

Tom Mann

Guru
It's too bad that your team can't use SSD's. I hope your network is fast and you are using a version control system so that two of you aren't making simultaneous edits on the same file, LOL.

Cheers,

T

MrToM

Guru
Splendid.....I hope you understand my concerns over that one.

I have to say though that despite having an IT dept its odd that you still find the need to outsource your IT problems.
Do you have no confidence in them?

Whatever, as Mr Mann points out there are many variables...so this is a mixed bag of questions/suggestions/information/instructions.

NETWORK:
1. Are you saving your files to a shared drive over the [problematic] network? (Why haven't IT sorted the speed issue?)

2. You say when other people open a file you saved, it crashes their machine......what happens if YOU open it?

3. If you save your file to your local drive and then copy it to wherever you normally would save it, can anyone else open it then?

4. If you ignore the network (Literally pull the plug) do you still have the same tiling problem?

preferences_A_01.png

MACHINE:
1. Change the Cache Tile Size back to the default 128K

2. Purge the PS cache:
A. Make sure you do not need to undo, revert, keep clipboard contents or use the history...this will remove them all.
B. Edit > Purge > All

3. Change the 'scratch' disc to the drive on which Photoshop is installed.
Adobe do not recommend using network drives as 'scratch' disks because of the problems it can cause.
I mention this as the 'scratch' disk in your screen shot is NOT a drive letter ( 'C:' )...but looks to be a domain name?
(Or is the 'install drive' re-named to 'Jennifer HD' and Macs use this name?)

4. Back-up and then delete the prefs file.

5. Is this machine a Laptop? (GFX is 640M...the 'M' usually denotes 'mobile' or Laptop version)

That'll do for now I think.

Just FYI I've used PS on a laptop with 8GB of RAM, (It looks like you have 8GB also), without any issues, but then my 'scratch' disk was local and the tiling only the default 128K. It did struggle if I pushed it but then GFX on laptops is never as good as a non-laptop machine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Sega Jenesis

Mr. Mann:
I hear you! hahaha I don't think we have that either! We just (luckily!) have good communication on who's editing what. We've been having speed issues for over 18 months, so I was curious if memory could be the main culprit.

Mr Tom:
Yes I definitely see your concern with the programs being legal! I am looking to outsource because we only have 3 IT guys for an entire company, and our speed issues have been going on for over 18 months without any change. We moved to a new building (has issues at the old building), so they said moving would be the cure. Still we were slow, and slow and slow. They tried wiping our computers, downgrading to Mountain Lion instead of Maverick, but still slow.

We thought it could be a RAM issue, that our machines aren't capable of our work flow, but they are reluctant to explore that avenue (reasonably so!)
And now that I'm having more Photoshop issues (to the point where my work flow is GREATLY affected, I'm almost banned from Photoshop since the files keep corrupting and then all the editing I did becomes obsolete). They aren't Adobe experts, so they do the best that they can, but since their workload is high as well I decided to seek other help. Work's gotta be done!

To your questions: My answers are in bold!

NETWORK:
1. Are you saving your files to a shared drive over the [problematic] network? (Why haven't IT sorted the speed issue?)
-we save to the shared network, through the shared network. We do not work locally at all because it caused issues if someone leaves (even for lunch sometimes!)

2. You say when other people open a file you saved, it crashes their machine......what happens if YOU open it?
-it corrupts their photoshop, so they have the tiling issue on any files they have open so they must reboot. If I open it, it has the same issue and corrupts every file I then have open, and the file cannot be restored successfully.

3. If you save your file to your local drive and then copy it to wherever you normally would save it, can anyone else open it then?
- I did try that, and it did the same thing to everyone. Still corrupted, and caused the same thing to happen to any file open at the same time as opening the corrupted one.

4. If you ignore the network (Literally pull the plug) do you still have the same tiling problem?
- That I do not know, I'd have to try working locally or to an external hard disk.

MACHINE:
1. Change the Cache Tile Size back to the default 128K - will do!

2. Purge the PS cache:
A. Make sure you do not need to undo, revert, keep clipboard contents or use the history...this will remove them all.
B. Edit > Purge > All

3. Change the 'scratch' disc to the drive on which Photoshop is installed.
Adobe do not recommend using network drives as 'scratch' disks because of the problems it can cause.
I mention this as the 'scratch' disk in your screen shot is NOT a drive letter ( 'C:' )...but looks to be a domain name?
(Or is the 'install drive' re-named to 'Jennifer HD' and Macs use this name?)
- 'Jennifer HD' is my computer's hard drive, which is where Photoshop is installed

4. Back-up and then delete the prefs file.

5. Is this machine a Laptop? (GFX is 640M...the 'M' usually denotes 'mobile' or Laptop version)
- it's a desktop :)

Thanks!!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Excellent!

OK, that has narrowed it down a lot.
I won't bore you with the details but essentially we can rule out the network as the cause of corrupt files.
Your 'Flash Player' version appears to be current so again, that can probably be ruled out.

This means it must be a 'machine' issue, and one which can corrupt files.

I don't know the results of all my suggestions to you but in addition can you also:

1. Turn OFF the 'Use Graphics Processor' option which is just to the right of your 'Scratch Disk' settings.
Close and re-open PS afterwards to make sure the changes are in effect.

I still think its a graphics driver issue, its about the only thing that would affect both your display AND saved files.

If it IS a driver issue the above suggestion should mean you can continue using PS, be it on a limited basis, but something is better than nothing....right?

Getting your IT dept to update the GFX driver(s) would [now] be my next line of attack.....if only to rule it out as a cause.
At the very least just get them to check if they are up to date.

Regards.
MrTom.

Sega Jenesis

Wahoo! Lovin' progress haha ok so I will get with our IT team and see if they can check that out! If it does or doesn't work, I'll be back!

Thank you!

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

If turning off 'Use Graphics Processor' seems to do the trick then the answer is to update the graphics driver.
If it doesn't make any difference then it probably isn't the cause, but updating the driver, (Or at least checking it), won't hurt anyway.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Regards.
MrTom.