What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alt + Create new Fill or Adjustment Layer Photoshop CC2014 not working

gedstar

Guru
In Photoshop CS6 I can click on the Alt key and select Create new Fill or Adjustment Layer to create a new adjustment layer with options, but when I try the same in Photoshop CC2014 clicking the Alt doesn't work that way, is there something that I'm doing wrong or maybe there's another shortcut key that I'm unaware of. Is there another way to do the same thing as CS6 or is this just another Bug they haven't fixed?
Not really a major issue, but would like to know if anybody has discovered another way to do this.
I know I can right click on the layer and create a clipping mask but you don't get the options like in CS6 as in the below

View attachment 50094

System Specs
Windows Pro 8.1
16 GB RAM
200 GB Scratch Disk
2GB Graphics Card
All latest updates installed

Thanks in Advance
Ged

MrToM

Guru
Hmmmm...not sure what you mean by 'Click on the Alt key'...????

Ctrl + Shift + N gives me the dialog box in your post but that's not a clipping mask...its a new layer with options.

What exactly is your shortcut key + click workflow?

(If you want to make a layer a clipping mask just hold Alt and click EXACTLY between the two layer thumbnails)...your cursor will change to a box with a cranked down arrow....when it does...click.

Was that what you wanted?

I'm sooooo confused! (Then again, it doesn't take much)

Regards.
MrTom.

gedstar

Guru
Hi MrTom

Sooooo sorry for the confusion

Hopefully this will enlighten you

View attachment 50105 If you Alt click on the Create new Fill or Adjustment Layer and scroll up to the adjustment you want to create you get thisView attachment 50106 in CS6 but this doesn't work in CC2014

Never thought of the Ctrl + Shift + N option :banghead:
Now I feel like a right plonker as Del Boy would say

OOPS :rolleyes:

I know how to create a clipping mask, hopefully if you try what I suggested in CC2014 you will see what I mean and try the same in CS6
Maybe it's an option they have removed from CC2014, I remember it worked in CC

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In CS6 when you click the new layer icon while holding the Option/Alt key, you will get the same dialog box. Try this in CC.

MrToM

Guru
I see....you're right....although when I click the icon the list DOES open for a split second....buts its only a brief flash.

From what I can tell its now a RIGHT Click........Alt + RIGHT Click and HOLD......move up to 'Solid Color' and release.....you'll get the dialog.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Option/Alt + Clicking the Create new adjustment layer in CS6 gave you the ability to define the layer before you created it. I'm not sure why they have done away with the option.

You could define the layer with the dialog box using Command/Control + Shift + N or Option/Alt + click the new layer Icon........... and then make the layer into a color fill (adjustment layer) using it's Icon.

gedstar

Guru
I see....you're right....although when I click the icon the list DOES open for a split second....buts its only a brief flash.

From what I can tell its now a RIGHT Click........Alt + RIGHT Click and HOLD......move up to 'Solid Color' and release.....you'll get the dialog.

Regards.
MrTom.

And I thought I was losing my marbles, thank you MrTom for verifying this for me and yes I get the same thing as you "although when I click the icon the list DOES open for a split second....buts its only a brief flash"

And thanks for figuring it out for me, I've been all over Google and couldn't find an answer to this one, you have saved me so much Googling :thumbsup:

gedstar

Guru
Option/Alt + Clicking the Create new adjustment layer in CS6 gave you the ability to define the layer before you created it. I'm not sure why they have done away with the option.

You could define the layer with the dialog box using Command/Control + Shift + N or Option/Alt + click the new layer Icon........... and then make the layer into a color fill (adjustment layer) using it's Icon.

Thanks Sam for the reply, MrTom has just solved this one for me :cheesygrin:

MrToM

Guru
No worries......

Just to add to that if you don't use 'Alt' you get the 'Fill Layer' dialog instead......completely different!

I've just tried this in Windows 10 and it seems to be the same there too so fingers crossed it'll stay like that for a while longer yet.
(Although Windows 10 is still experimental)

Regards.
MrTom.