What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

noslenwerd

Please see attached image. The left is a white to black gradient in photoshop, and the right is the same image view through irfan view (or any other viewer gives similar results).

Obviously this is something with photoshop, and not the monitor. My question is, why is this happening? any ideas? I am using CS6

Thanks ahead of time!

grayscale.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How are you ruling out that this is NOT the monitor?

MrToM

Guru
Can you just check these out for us...

VIEW > PROOF COLORS Check this is OFF (Unchecked)

Then change your 'Working Profile' as below........
Keep the 'Preview' ON but do NOT commit to the changes unless they fix your issue.

colour_profile_A_01.png

Lets us know the results of changing the profile to Adobe RGB (1998)...regardless of it fixing anything.

If that doesn't work can you supply a full screen shot of the whole UI.
Have the same file open as in your original post.
Other useful info to have on display would be the document dimensions and current colour profile.
You can do this with the 'INFO' panel...

info_panel_A_01.png

If you are unaware of your monitor profile I doubt you'll have changed it so for the time being its best left as is.

See what happens with the above first.

FWIW I tried a similar image with as many different profile combinations as I could before falling asleep and couldn't replicate your problem exactly....I came close, but not exact.
Changing the color profile may not therefore be the solution....but every system is different so fingers crossed.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
MrTom: "...If you are unaware of your monitor profile I doubt you'll have changed it so for the time being its best left as is...."

Don't be so sure, Tom.

About a year or so, someone had a very similar problem and sought help here. They knew next to nothing about color management, color settings, etc., but somehow, someone, possibly he, himself, had managed to change his monitor profile to a printer profile. His one ICC-aware app that we were aware of (Photoshop) responded by displaying erroneous colors, whereas his non-color-managed apps (...the majority of apps he had on his system) displayed colors reasonably well, just like the OP in this thread.

And, if I recall correctly, a few months before that one, a gal showed up with a similar complaint, and we tracked it down to her using a printer or monitor profile for her working space. His symptoms and the resulting PSG thread makes for an interesting read:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...tions/46500-help-photoshop-has-gone-pink.html

Bottom line, "if it can be changed, someone might have already done so". LOL.

I'm super busy for the rest of today, with no time for PSG, so I hope you'll be around to help this person out.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom said:
About a year or so, someone had a very similar problem and sought help here. They knew next to nothing about color management, color settings, etc., but somehow, someone, possibly he, himself, had managed to change his monitor profile to a printer profile. His one ICC-aware app that we were aware of (Photoshop) responded by displaying erroneous colors, whereas his non-color-managed apps (...the majority of apps he had on his system) displayed colors reasonably well, just like the OP in this thread.

I seemed to remember this which is what I was eluding to with my question.

I will leave this problem in much more capable hands.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Mr Mann.

Yeah, I fully appreciate what you're saying.

I just wanted to help the OP by guiding them toward profile settings in PS, as they stated they didn't know what they were.

I threw in the 'monitor profile' comment in an attempt to stop them changing it in case they took it upon themselves to do so and not inform anyone.
I probably didn't word it very well but what I meant by it was that if the Op wasn't aware of a 'monitor' profile, then its unlikely that they personally would have intentionally changed it and if that's the fact not to continue to do so.

This is not say of course that the 'monitor' profile hasn't been changed, intentionally or not, by the OP or some other software or even by an OS bug.....which being Windows is highly likely.

In an attempt not to exacerbate the issue I thought it a good idea to inform the OP not to change anything unless instructed to do so....that way everybody can keep track on what's been tried, what hasn't and ultimately what did or didn't work to solve the problem.

Regards.
MrTom.

noslenwerd

Can you just check these out for us...

VIEW > PROOF COLORS Check this is OFF (Unchecked)

Then change your 'Working Profile' as below........
Keep the 'Preview' ON but do NOT commit to the changes unless they fix your issue.

View attachment 50173

Lets us know the results of changing the profile to Adobe RGB (1998)...regardless of it fixing anything.

If that doesn't work can you supply a full screen shot of the whole UI.
Have the same file open as in your original post.
Other useful info to have on display would be the document dimensions and current colour profile.
You can do this with the 'INFO' panel...

View attachment 50174

If you are unaware of your monitor profile I doubt you'll have changed it so for the time being its best left as is.

See what happens with the above first.

FWIW I tried a similar image with as many different profile combinations as I could before falling asleep and couldn't replicate your problem exactly....I came close, but not exact.
Changing the color profile may not therefore be the solution....but every system is different so fingers crossed.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thank you so much for your efforts. Here is a screenshot of my entire setup. The first part you mentioned with adobe 1998 did not work for me. I kept the preview on, with the saved image on the screen from irfan view as well. Should I change "second color readout" to opacity like you have? Not CMYK?

psg.jpg

noslenwerd

Hmm this is interesting.. Messed around with the assigned profiles, changed to the Dell profile, and it seems to have fixed the issue? My question is, how can I make it such that it DEFAULTS to this profile at all times? And will this effect negatively how the colors of my saved jpegs render on a printer or another machine?

See screenshot below:

assign-profile.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP: While assigning a specific monitor (ie, output device) profile to a file may fix the image for you, it will almost always muck up the image as viewed by anyone else. Anything that you post to the web, and 90% of what you send out for printing MUST be in sRGB, not some ideosyncratic, highly specific monitor profile. Your problem is elsewhere. That "fix" only cured the symptoms, as viewed by you.

It's absolutely clear that you need to read up on the basics of color management. I'm on another job at the moment, so I can't provide you any references, but will try to do so late tonight when I get home.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Noslenwerd -

I Goggled {color management photoshop} and found quite a few web pages that give a nice introduction to this topic. Here are two that caught my eye:
http://www.dpbestflow.org/color/color-management-overview
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs5/downloads/PSCS5-colormanage.pdf

On a quick read, both seem to be accurate. The first is more concise, whereas the 2nd goes into more of the background. This addresses the inevitable question of why in the world did the industry and particularly, Adobe, introduce something seemingly as complicated and abstract.

After you look them over, lets discuss the details of your particular situation and any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Tom M

noslenwerd

Tom,

Thank you again for all this detailed info. I read both of the links you suggested, and it sounds to me like I have no other option but to buy hardware to calibrate my monitor. It seems both monitors have a yellow cast over everything I view.

Do you recommend any software that does NOT have hardware that might work to remove some of the yellow cast?

Thanks!

noslenwerd

Oh and to add to it.. (I realize this is a photoshop forum).. but even when I export from Lightroom, my images are showing slightly less saturated as a JPG. Left image is JPG, right is as viewed in LR.

why.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Try Windows 7's on board Monitor calibration. Just do a search on Calibrate Display Color in your computers search window (at Start). Open it and follow the instructions. See if that helps your issue.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi again, Noslenwerd.

You stated: "...It seems both monitors have a yellow cast over everything I view. ...".

To say anything intelligent, I need some more elaboration of this statement. Specifically, if you put up a well color balanced reference image (ie, not one of your own that you took and/or processed), to your eye, does it look like it has a yellow cast in PS? How about in Irfanview? Attached below are a couple of reference images that many people use. Do the colors on either of these look different when viewed in your browser versus when viewed in PS vs. in Irfanview?

Tom M

PS - In case you aren't aware of this, so-called "screen shots" are essentially useless for showing other people exactly what you are seeing on your screen. The reason is they only show the numerical data that is being sent to your video card, but not what is coming out of it and being sent to your monitor, and they *certainly* don't show any problems in the monitor itself. So, while they can be useful in some ways, it probably isn't what you think. For example, the overlapping screen shots pertaining to LR problems doesn't show me what you see, but what data is being fed to your video card in both cases. Differences between the two (overlapping) screen shots can be caused by differences in the actual picture content of the file, differences in the metadata in each file, or simply differences between the software you used to view the exported JPG vs LR. Anyway, let's stick with the basics for the moment.

Attachments

• ciat1_cropped.jpg
    ciat1_cropped.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 300cia.jpg
    300cia.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6