What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cant open a .psd file in PS CS5

ryansmithfoto

when i try to open a .psd file that was last opened a little under a year ago i get the error message :could not complete your request because the file is already in use or was left open by another application.

ive restarted, shutdown, force quit all applications, tried to save as, export, duplicate and nothing works. i also attempted to save it to dropbox so i could delete it from the computer but i can even perform that task. i've emptied my trash also. any help is much appreciated. my time machine isnt working on my imac either so i cant go back.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi, Welcome to the forum!
Just as another thing to try, did you try re-naming the file? Also some PS ills can be solved by re-setting your preferences file to Default.
when i try to open a .psd file that was last opened a little under a year ago i get the error message :could not complete your request because the file is already in use or was left open by another application.

ive restarted, shutdown, force quit all applications, tried to save as, export, duplicate and nothing works. i also attempted to save it to dropbox so i could delete it from the computer but i can even perform that task. i've emptied my trash also. any help is much appreciated. my time machine isnt working on my imac either so i cant go back.

Last edited:

ryansmithfoto

i already tried to rename and it didnt work either. How do i reset the preferences? I didnt see a way to reset the entire preferences panel. i did however reset the warning dialog box section and it did nothing

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you start Photoshop. As you start the program you will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. Deleting the file will create a new set of preferences from scratch.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Photoshop > Edit > Preferences > File Handling

In there uncheck the option to "Save in Background"

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Contact Adobe tech support?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Based on what I've been reading, this is not a Photoshop issue.

TonyCooper

Being a Windows user, I'm not sure I can make a useful suggestion to a Mac user,
but if I had the problem described I'd use the Windows search option to locate the
file. This might show the location that is "open".

Hoogle

Guru
can you right click the file and select properties making sure it is not set to read only.

You may also want to select open with and choose PS as the default program.

I am going to guess that the file is corrupted somehow so may be a lost project if you cant resolve it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hoogle said:
I am going to guess that the file is corrupted somehow so may be a lost project if you cant resolve it.

This is the usual culprit and what I suspect may be the problem.

Good call Hoogle.