What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS6 looks like sharpening enabled/constant?

Dozer

Currently, when inside Photoshop CS6, it looks like there is a sharpening filter enabled constantly, no matter what photo I load.
Also, when I do text, it has small jagged edges.
However, when I export the photo, it does not look that way when I open the photo in an Image Viewer.
If you have ever seen the "Sharpening" effect, when you add to much, that is what it looks like.
Is there something enabled that I do not know about? Anyone else experience this?

I notice that if it is at 100% zoom, it looks fine, but if I zoom out, lets say anything other than 100%, it looks like it has a sharpening filter on high.
My computer at work, is not having this behavior.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Lets start with this.

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

This probably doesn't apply but if you open images in ACR a slight sharpening "IS" added.
Also as I recall. the most accurate way to view your image is at 25%, 50%, 75%,100%, 125%, etc., etc.

I don't remember why or if it's still true but check it out and see if it applies to you, either way reset preferences and update your video driver too.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Dozer -

Steve had some good suggestions. So, if resetting PS's preferences doesn't help, and you see this effect at the magnifications that Steve stated (...humm ... not sure about 75 and 125%, but add 66% to his list), then why don't you post a (small) PSD file in which you see this behavior. This way, we can see if it's something embedded in the file, or if it might be related to your system.

Cheers,

Tom M

Steve

Retired Administrator
Tom Mann said:
(...humm ... not sure about 75 and 125%,
Me either Tom so I did some digging.
Of course 100% is the the most accurate but all the incremental PS zoom levels (Ctrl + or Cmd + for the Mac) are much smoother and accurate than any custom zoom.
Those include 12.5, 17, 33 1/3, 50, 67, 100.