What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my stroke pixelated ?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Ya.... but I tried it even at 600. The stoke via Layer Style still comes out jagged....

But I do know that Stroke layer style works well on straight paths. Curves or arcs get a different result..... unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.........

crs one

I'm back guys.
Firstly I want to apologize for being rude and unpatient. If you trying to solve something for whole day IT IS getting on your nerves.
Secondly I want to say thank you for that big response from you guys. I appreciate that.
NOW.
Maybe its just me, but in some instances, the stroke layer effect gives me undesirable results. Which is why I prefer using the normal stoke function found in MENU.
It is simply solving the problem. Fastest way to get smooth stroke for now. I never used stroke from Menu but by Layer Style and everything was good. It is very strange for me because from day to day it is not working properly. Thought maybe it is caused by VGA drivers update, idk.
Originally Posted by Paul
Illustrator be your friend for this one mate.
Depending on what he's creating, I agree.
But we'll have to deal with the fact not everyone who comes here uses the Big I......
I use it to make CS:GO skins, stickers and I prefer to use PS to that type of work. I don't know if I can post that but here is my work: http://steamcommunity.com/id/CRSONE/myworkshopfiles/

PS: If someone know what is causing the problem with pixelated stroke from Layer Style please respond. It may be helpful for someone else and just to kill curiosity.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
OK.... nice to hear from you.

I believe the wondrous @MrTom has an answer for you as well.... that is if he's here still......

It's not just a matter of working on a problem the whole day... it's a matter that the simplest of answers may be just there staring at your face but we can't see it..... impulsiveness and too sickeningly and stubbornly determined on our part..... :rofl:.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, I would really like to get to the bottom of this as well.

I did a quick test, and using the latest version of PS CC, I couldn't get any jaggies, ragged edges, etc. unless I did something really stupid to the image like go with much too low resolution. Even then, the jaggies were nice and regular, not ragged, like yours. So, because I couldn't reproduce the problem, I just stayed out of this thread and waited for someone else to figure it out.

Cheers,

Tom M

MrToM

Guru
...get your old butt in here...
Ha ha....you said 'butt'!

Mr dv8 and myself have both been perusing over this problem since the moment we both decided to give up.

I tried several different ways in an attempt to find the root of the problem, paths, fills, strokes, even a large brandy and cigar but wothing norked.

dv8 suggested that there was a big difference between using Edit > Stroke and Style fx.
I'll be the first to admit I hadn't noticed this before.

Edit > Stroke does, for me, give a much better result, not dissimilar to your 'correct' example.
Using Styles does, for me, replicate your 'incorrect' example.

Along the way to solve this I've also tried examples using "Inside" when stroking, which gives a better edge but a rough inner.
Using "center" also gives different results.....as does "Outside".

I've also tried "Outer Glow" and even "Drop Shadow" as alternatives to using stroke....each with differing results.

From the tests done and the results obtained I can only deduce that using Edit > Stroke uses anti-aliasing and that Styles fx stroke does not, and, as far as I can tell, has no option to do so.

If you are looking for a specific "answer" as to why things are now different for you then you may be out of luck, anything could have happened to your system since it last worked and as nobody else seems able to replicate a 'good' version its doubtful you'll get a definitive solution.

Personally I cannot do any different than your 'bad' example....despite several Barge Landy's, so I don't know how you did it before.

MrTom.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a thought...........

crs one said:
Im not retarded man smile.gif I use Basic Brushes (default).

Here is the result of a brushstroke on a path created with the Pen Tool.
The brush spacing set to 0.
Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.08.39 AM.png

Here is the result of a brushstroke on the same path created with the Pen Tool.
The Brush Tools brush spacing is set to 25. (which is default)

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.06.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.08.50 AM.png

This has been the only way I have been able to recreate the problem.
If at anytime you change the brush/brush size using anything other method than the brackets ([ ]), the brush will will reset to a default setting of 25% brush spacing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.08.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.08.39 AM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.08.50 AM.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.06.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.06.58 AM.png
    18 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

crs one

I've checked it before making this thread. Stroke was pixelated anyway just little less. Like I said this issue have nothing with brush. (in my case)

MrToM

Guru
Right...

I think I have the solution but just let me check it first and I'll be back.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Ok...lets put this to bed.

The way I was doing it:
1. Set brush to size, shape, spacing to 1%, hardness to 100%
2. Select Pen Tool, set to path.
3. Draw path.
4. Right click and select Stroke.
5. Chose 'Brush'.
6. Stroke using Style fx.

Result: As your 'Bad' example.

The way I think you did it before:
1. Select Pen tool, set to SHAPE!
2. Draw path.
3. Use the 'Stroke' icon in the menu bar to set the stroke size and color.
4. Use the 'Stroke Style' dropdown to set to Style:Line, Align:Center, Caps:Round.
5. Stroke using Style fx.

Result: As your 'Good' example.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
crs one .... if all else fail,

If you still have that old saved psd work which contains the stroke style you used when it was working, open it and see if it displays in its clean condition. Then hide the layer and redo it.

If it works, it has something to do with that file.... a setting in the stroke that you may have used or other things (like file resolution, etc).

If it doesn't, it may be the PS general setting (Interpolation settings maybe) or like you mentioned, something to do with the upgrading of your graphics card.

It's a long shot........ but I wanna sleep well at night with the thought "Eureka, We found it"!!! ...... :banghead: :cheesygrin:.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Just a thought...........

............This has been the only way I have been able to recreate the problem.
If at anytime you change the brush/brush size using anything other method than the brackets ([ ]), the brush will will reset to a default setting of 25% brush spacing.

Don't forget Sam. He created the second stroke using Stroke layer effect. Does the brush settings have any bearing with the stroke?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't forget Sam. He created the second stroke using Stroke layer effect. Does the brush settings have any bearing with the stroke?

Yes, this is what I explained.

If at any time he changed the brush itself or the brush size...........other than using the bracket keys (for brush size)....ie changing the brush size by selecting another brush size from the brushes panel...................the brush would have reset itself to it's default setting of 25% spacing. If he did not return the brush spacing (in the brush panel) back to 1%....................then the addition of the layer style (FX) stroke would have come out looking like this....

Last edited: