What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my stroke pixelated ?

crs one

I have a problem with stroke in PS CS6. (2) When I use stroke on my curve line it looks pixelated and I don't know why ? (1) I did same line before and everything was clean and not pixelated.
WTF.jpg
Here is the zoomed version second one is broken definitely.
WTF3.jpg
The problem is only with stroke. It doesn't matter what effect I add. Here is just red brush with stroke.
WTF2.jpg

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi crs1
Welcome to the forum!
You just looking to fix it? or trying to dig into the "why"? I can advise a fix but not sure of the cause. Use your pen tool to outline it and make a new shape layer then stroke that.

iDad

Guru
Im thinking resolution issue?

crs one

You just looking to fix it? or trying to dig into the "why"? I can advise a fix but not sure of the cause. Use your pen tool to outline it and make a new shape layer then stroke that.
Both. Just wondering why everything was fine before and now it is pixelated. I always add stroke in Layer Style and now this happens.

ALB68

It may not show up in your final product. I have had that happen before and it just cured itself as it wasn't evident in the final image.

ALB68

Im thinking resolution issue?

You may be right ..seems there was something related when I had it to happen.

MrToM

Guru
What are you applying the stroke to?......a shape, pixels, masked pixels.....???

Just looks like a very rough edge but its hard to tell with a thumbnail sized image.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

I did this as a comparison. I created a 72ppi page first and added the blue on a layer. Stroked 4px and this is what I got.
pixelated.PNG
Then one at 300 ppi
pixelated not.PNG
So it appears to be a resolution issue as iDad suggested

If your going online with your finals, the resolution doesn't matter. Just the pixel dimensions.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Story of curved red line in PS:

Well there ya go then.....a rough edge.

Check the hardness and shape of your brush tool before you use it as the stroke tool......looks like you may not have a smooth and hard edged to it.

Have you changed the brush lately?

Try using one of the default round brushes with a hard edge, stroke your path, then apply a stroke to that......see if thats whats changed.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS...you'd get a much better result if you dont stroke the path with the brush but instead create the shape, fill it, and stroke that.

Last edited:

crs one

Im not retarded man :) I use Basic Brushes (default).
s5.jpg
I always do that kind of things in same way so why now it is not working properly ? I just want my smooth stroke back ;/

ALB68

crs one,
Appears your getting a bit frustrated with this issue. I know you have been working on it now for a couple of days as I have seen your same post in other forums. Please be patient as there are people in this forum willing to help but some are in other time zones. We have all tried to offer constructive information and we know or at least hope you are not retarded. Hopefully someone will come along that can solve your issue soon.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Take it easy, @crs one.

If you're frustrated finding an answer, it's equally frustrating for those trying to figure out a solution to what looks like something trivial.

I've tried your process checking all my settings as I go (even resetting my brush to default) and on different resolutions. Even at 300dpi the layer effect stroke turns out jagged.

But you say you've done this before with no problems. I can't recreate it so Im uncertain what you're settings would have been at the time you managed it.

Maybe its just me, but in some instances, the stroke layer effect gives me undesirable results. Which is why I prefer using the normal stoke function found in MENU.

I get this... for the second stoke (first one was stroke path) and it works at any resolution - better even at a higher setting. This was done at 72.

StrokeProb.jpg

I'm aware that by using the layer effect, it can be edited later without damaging the image on layer. But until a solution can be found you have to be a bit patient as others (or even me) might still be trying or there are those who hasn't seen this thread may have a solution.

PS.... I also see you've got almost the entire Photoshop internet community involved with this. And they too are perplexed. Patience.... someone , somewhere may come up with a solution to this. Like the others elsewhere, I too am wondering about the discoloration artifacts in your sample images...... but that's not the issue here. First things first.......

Paul

Former Member
Illustrator be your friend for this one mate.

Paul

Former Member
Pixels are what Photoshop gives you at larger sizes we all know that.