What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PetulaSz

Hey guys, can someone please tell me, how to edit the edges of a circle to look like this? logo.jpg
I made this like 3 month ago, and I don't remember how :( Can someone please help me with this? I'm sure it's not layer style, because I have in a photoshop file, and I cannot copy the layer style...also no filter, because it would be shown there...I guess I just made it by clicking on it with the right button and somewhere there, but have really no idea how...I tried it several times but not working. Thank you in advance!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi PetulaSz and welcome.

This looks like it was a grunge style brush used with the Eraser Tool, or the Brush Tool on a mask, or the Brush Tool set to white.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lets say you have your dog image cropped like this....
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 10.53.27 AM.png

Then you place the dog image layer on top of a white layer.
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 10.51.26 AM.png

Then you add a layer mask to the dog image.
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 10.51.45 AM.png

Then select the Brush Tool and a nice grunge brush. Set the foreground color to black.
Click on the layer mask to select it.
Use your Brush Tool to add the effect to the edge.
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.03.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.03.08 AM.png

Done

Last edited:

PetulaSz

Thanks for your quick response, but actually I'm quite sure I was not able to make it with brush. I'm sure it was way easier and more simple...is there some method how to select for example this type of "grunge" circle there? Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you think it was a layer style, you may have downloaded a layer style or just a pattern.

Here, I have quickly made my own pattern that I used as a Pattern overlay in a Layer style...
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.43.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.43.14 AM.png

This would be easy, but you would have needed to add the pattern.

ibclare

Queen Bee
By the way, you might have applied a filter to the solid color,but filter application does not show up in the psd layer itself, only in the history which is erased when you close and reopen a document. The only way that I know to preserve the filter action is to convert your layer to a smart object. Otherwise you won't see what you applied.

Beyond that, for the torn looking edges, the sketch>torn edges might be a starting place, but what else you might have done, IDK. There is no filter I know to make the specific line style you have. Also, you have a gradient applied to the ellipse.

Sam's solution using various grunge brushes to continue the edge effect is all I can think of.

But maybe a member will come by with a better idea. Maybe a tutorial that can demonstrate a useful method. I will explore the net for one . . .

ibclare

Queen Bee
Please come back and let us know what kind of progress you have made. I hope you can get the effect you want.

You may want to find a texture on the net to use for your brownish background. If it is grey or brown, you can always change the hue of it by using a layer adjustment for hue/saturation to make it the orange like color you want. Sorry we couldn't come up with the method you used before. Maybe it will come back to you as you work?