What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iimage gets noisy after editing in RAW and opening it in photoshop

Navid Hekmat

I shoot in RAW and then i use Photoshop CC to open the RAW file. I do some editing. Then i click on "Open image". The image which is represented is very noisy. If i zoom in about 4 times on the picture, it becomes clear and without noise. If i zoom out then it becomes noisy.

This only happens with raw images.

http://www.fotoexperten.no/noise/DSC_7968.NEF

If a screenshot is needed please le me know.

Tom Mann

Guru
You've got me scratching my head over this question.

When I open it in ACR, it looks absolutely normal - essentially no noise at all at any magnification.

The only things that caught my attention was that it was a bit underexposed, and the in-camera color balance was set too cold, but perhaps that's the look you were going for.

After a few minor tweaks, it turned into an absolutely gorgeous shot.

Let me keep thinking about this, but I see no evidence whatsoever of extraneous noise.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC_7968nef-tjm01-ps02a_sRGB_698px_hi-01.jpg
    DSC_7968nef-tjm01-ps02a_sRGB_698px_hi-01.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 15

Navid Hekmat

actually the RAW file i sent was not edited on..so thats why is it is underexposed..off course not the final image.

Have a look at the attachment. This is how it looks like.
noise.png

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Are your Camera Raw updates installed? You don't say what Nikon model your using. When did this problem begin? Is your camera new? I know Adobe has published updates for ACR lately.

Tom Mann

Guru
NICE !!!

Actually, you probably do what I do -- If there's enough light so that I can stay at low ISOs, I intentionally underexpose in camera, and then bring it back up in ACR so that I don't blow ANY highlights, and have the choice of what highlights. and how much to blow them out in post.

OTOH, if the light is limited, and I have to start cranking up the ISO, then I try to use a brighter in-camera exposure to minimize noise in the shadows.

BTW, how did you light her?

Tom

Navid Hekmat

I thouhgt you would read on the file so i didnt mention it :D. But it is Nikon D610.

This problem has been there since i installed CC. Camera raw 8.7.0.287. Besides..my understanding is that this might not be the related to camera raw..since the noisy pictyre is created AFTER done editing in raw and clickin on "Open image"

Tom Mann

Guru
Are your Camera Raw updates installed? You don't say what Nikon model your using. When did this problem begin? Is your camera new? I know Adobe has published updates for ACR lately.
He's using a d610, which is a recent, full frame model, and a top of the line 70-200/2.8 VR2, which is a beautiful lens. The exif info was in the NEF file.

T

Navid Hekmat

Ok i can post a finished picture. I used a beautydish with and softbox to reflect the light back to here face..also having softboxes on the side.

Anyone has any clue on why i get the noise as mentioned? Havent found anything on internet.

Attachments

• DSC_7949-3-resizedMarked.jpg
    DSC_7949-3-resizedMarked.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW (ie, I really doubt this is the problem), the latest update to ACR ( CC 2014) is 8.7.0.309, which is what I am using.

T

ALB68

He's using a d610, which is a recent, full frame model, and a top of the line 70-200/2.8 VR2, which is a beautiful lens. The exif info was in the NEF file.

T
Well Adobe publishes updates to support the new camera models. Could this be the cause?

Navid Hekmat

it seems i double posted the pic..sorry for this..im a new beginner here. Sorry again..the last pic can be deleted ( i am not able to delete it).

I will update the ACR to the version you said now and will let u know.

Navid Hekmat

Last edited:

ALB68

Navid Hekmat

No i must have a offline installation since my second computer is not connected to the internet. YES.CC 2014.

ALB68

I just opened your NEF file with ACR Version 8.6 and it opens just fine and opens in Photoshop 2014 without any noise. The issue must not be the version causing this.

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice choice of final shot, Navid. The model looks great!

Also, don't forget that even for this forum, you should be posting in sRGB. Your last image was still in Adobe RGB, so any images in it look very unsaturated and flat when viewed with most browsers, default settings, etc.

BTW, the catchlights in the model's eyes show more of a under-over butterfly type of lighting setup, not the expected round annular ring of a beauty dish. Also, I don't see the harsher texture with more specular micro-reflections typical of a beauty dish (or maybe the model has really good skin). Might you have changed over to a under-over setup part way through the shoot?

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Well..the support for this camera is included in the ACR version i have now allready. I wont figure out why it will solve the problem just to upload..but i try.
Is this the newest one?
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5368-adobe-dng-converter.html
That's DNG converter though..but it is the same?
No, it is definitely not the same. A DNG converter is to allow support of new cameras when using a legacy version of PS. The converter is free. One uses it to convert NEFs from new cameras to DNG files, which then can be read into almost any version of PS.

Tom

PS - I don't know what the cause is, but I *really* doubt that the OP's noise problem has anything to do with ACR. I think we're going down the wrong path with this line of inquiry. However, I am curious about ALB (Larry's) question: When did this first start?. I would also ask whether or not you see this on the NEF files from other cameras? Also, if you export (say, a full-sized JPG) directly from ACR instead of going into PS, do you see noise in the resulting file?

Navid Hekmat

Nice choice of final shot, Navid. The model looks great!

Also, don't forget that even for this forum, you should be posting in sRGB. Your last image was still in Adobe RGB, so any images in it look very unsaturated and flat when viewed with most browsers, default settings, etc.

BTW, the catchlights in the model's eyes show more of a under-over butterfly type of lighting setup, not the expected round annular ring of a beauty dish. Also, I don't see the harsher texture with more specular micro-reflections typical of a beauty dish (or maybe the model has really good skin). Might you have changed over to a under-over setup part way through the shoot?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom..YES..i know..thats why i posted the picture again..the first picture her skin looks bleeshed and desaturated as you said, because it was Adobe RGB. Actually today i have learned something very important..thanks to you guys. Very thankful..not only for the reply but for the good explanation you gave.

The "under" is a floor level softbox with a flash which is used. I believe this creates more soft reflection back to her face than using a reflector which 90% does of people suggests. The "Above" is a beauty dish as mentioned. So totally this these two is formed like a gap. She has good skin but it is it i soften up more.

Besides..for posting pictures and getting feedbacks..where is the forum for this?

ALB68

Tom Mann "PS - I don't know what the cause is, but I *really* doubt that the OP's noise problem has anything to do with ACR. I think we're going down the wrong path with this line of inquiry. However, I am curious about ALB (Larry's) question: When did this first start?. I would also ask whether or not you see this on the NEF files from other cameras? Also, if you export (say, a full-sized JPG) directly from ACR instead of going into PS, do you see noise in the resulting file?"

Tom, as you know, in the world of computers, most things have a logical answer. Sometimes though, the answer doesn't just jump out. So you try things that may or may not solve the problem. OP has stated this started happening when PS CC was installed. After I opened the NEF file with my Version 8.6 ACR it becomes pretty evident that that is not the cause, so we have eliminated that. I am a bit unclear as to what is happening after editing in ACR. Are we going directly to PS using Open Image ? or are we saving the file as a JPG and then opening in PS? You know the file maintains the nef extension when Open Image is used and the format is changed when saved from PS. I am just grasping here.