What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Scratch Disk?

Rick Kuperberg

I have My scratch disk set to my external 1TB drive, I have noticed that it creates folders typically more than one . They are empty and they don't seem to delete on their own and I was wondering if there is a way to have this done . I will include a screen shot, any advice/input much appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 16

Hoogle

Guru
You will probably have to use advanced deletion methods. A scratch disk should really be on a local drive unless you set up the external drive as a fixed drive and not removeable.

That said right click the folders and select properties and then see If it is set to read only then uncheck it and delete it you may have to hold shift key down then delete key. The problem is that Windows will see it as an Essential folder. So try right clicking of a folder on that drive select properties and run disk clean up to clear temp files.

If that doesn't work use a live boot CD like mini xp or unintuitive and explore the drive this will let you delete any folder on it regardless of permissions.

Once again failing that in ubuntu open up a terminal window and type sudo nautilus this will open an explorer window with full admin and permissions and will let you bypass all restrictions where you can delete them.

You can probably do this in Windows safe mode but it may leave traces

Then when you assign a letter to the drive and set it up as a fixed drive you should be fine.

However usb data transfer is bottlenecked via usb even usb 3 so other than space saved on your main drives their really is not any benefit for an external drive scratch disk.

I have a SanDisk 240 gb ssd purely for my Adobe scratch disk which makes it amazingly fast on large files or if you have a spare 16gb of ram you can create a ram drive for your scratch disk but honestly it is not as stable and reliable as a spare ssd drive

Rick Kuperberg

You will probably have to use advanced deletion methods. A scratch disk should really be on a local drive unless you set up the external drive as a fixed drive and not removeable.

That said right click the folders and select properties and then see If it is set to read only then uncheck it and delete it you may have to hold shift key down then delete key. The problem is that Windows will see it as an Essential folder. So try right clicking of a folder on that drive select properties and run disk clean up to clear temp files.

If that doesn't work use a live boot CD like mini xp or unintuitive and explore the drive this will let you delete any folder on it regardless of permissions.

Once again failing that in ubuntu open up a terminal window and type sudo nautilus this will open an explorer window with full admin and permissions and will let you bypass all restrictions where you can delete them.

You can probably do this in Windows safe mode but it may leave traces

Then when you assign a letter to the drive and set it up as a fixed drive you should be fine.

However usb data transfer is bottlenecked via usb even usb 3 so other than space saved on your main drives their really is not any benefit for an external drive scratch disk.

I have a SanDisk 240 gb ssd purely for my Adobe scratch disk which makes it amazingly fast on large files or if you have a spare 16gb of ram you can create a ram drive for your scratch disk but honestly it is not as stable and reliable as a spare ssd drive

I have no problem deleting them, They delete with no problem when highlighted and you hit delete and they appear to be empty after I am done editing in PS. I was just curious if they were suppose to delete on their own or some how set it to delete on its own. If I for get to check and delete they start piling up even though they are empty just a distraction when I go to that drive to view my folders.