What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Null sign when try to use brushes

dlambson

Hello..I've searched this out without luck. Im using a Mac with Yosemite. I've been able to use my brushes without any problem but must have inadvertently changed something. I now have a null sign when I try to apply the brush to my image with error message that says 'Could not use history brush because the current canvas does not match that of history state.' Can someone solve this mystery for me please..thanks!

MrToM

Guru
Well, Photoshop has answered your question already really...you can't paint with the 'history' brush if you have no history.

You should be able to paint with the normal brush but until you do something and populate the 'history' panel with some activity, the 'history' brush has no history to paint with....hence the 'null' sign.

Paint something with the normal brush tool first and then see if the history brush tool works after that.

Regards.
MrTom.

dlambson

thanks for the quick reply Mr Tom..Im new with Photoshop..I assumed that might be obvious, but as such, Im unsure where I went from 'normal' to 'history' As I mentioned all was fine for several images. Looking in mode..it says 'normal'. Can you elaborate? I *thought I was using the normal brush tool and still do not see how I got into 'history' or where to restore it to normal

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

The 'Normal', (Brush), tool and the 'History brush' tool look very similar in the toolbar, I'm just guessing you've selected the wrong tool...

history_brush_A_01.png

As you've noticed, PS can be confusing when it uses similar names for different things.....yes, the 'Brush' tool has a 'Normal' mode.....and many more besides...as do lots of other tools!

Select the 'Brush' (I called it 'normal brush'), tool from the toolbar,(By default is on the left of the workspace), make sure IT is set to 'normal' mode, (dropdown list at the top of the workspace), and try painting again.

If its actually a problem with the 'History brush' tool then I apologise and we'll go through it if needs be....but for now my money is on this being just a wrong tool selection.

Regards.
MrTom.

dlambson

No worries.

The 'Normal', (Brush), tool and the 'History brush' tool look very similar in the toolbar, I'm just guessing you've selected the wrong tool...

View attachment 50972

As you've noticed, PS can be confusing when it uses similar names for different things.....yes, the 'Brush' tool has a 'Normal' mode.....and many more besides...as do lots of other tools!

Select the 'Brush' (I called it 'normal brush'), tool from the toolbar,(By default is on the left of the workspace), make sure IT is set to 'normal' mode, (dropdown list at the top of the workspace), and try painting again.

If its actually a problem with the 'History brush' tool then I apologise and we'll go through it if needs be....but for now my money is on this being just a wrong tool selection.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi Tom..the tool above the clone on my board is now saying 'color replacement tool ' and none of the brushes are available to me with that on..they're greyed out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The tools are nested. You need to click and hold whatever tool is visible to reveal the other nested tools, then select the brush tool.

Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 11.15.11 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
No problem....see the miniscule white triangle in the bottom right of some......

Never mind.....Sam beat me to it.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With the brush tools selected, you can also use Shift + B to scroll through the nested tools.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Also, just FYI, as your working, and you want to switch back to your brush from another tool..just enter B and your cursor will then be the brush you used last.